Wellbeing advice for the winter break
As the term comes to an end and we look forward to the winter break, we share resources, wellness advice and support services available over Christmas, including online events, virtual check-in sessions and useful links.
It’s an understatement to say that 2020 has been a challenging year. COVID-19 has affected our way of life, our work & our study in so many different ways. I have been hugely impressed and proud of how student doctors across all years have faced these adversities.
I know many people, myself included, are looking forward for the opportunity to rest and recuperate over the Christmas holiday period and the fresh start the new year of 2021 promises with the hope of vaccines.
However, Christmas can sometimes be a challenging time, especially in the context of the pandemic. It's good to know that the following support services are available to you if you should need help and support over the winter break.
Best wishes from Deputy Director of Wellbeing, Dr Richard Latten
School of Medicine Wellbeing team
- Contact the team. The team will continue to check the Wellbeing Inbox daily, apart from bank holidays, so get in touch with them at email@example.com if there’s anything they can support you with.
- Join a Wellbeing check-in session. There will be two Zoom sessions hosted by Alison Threlfall and Richard Latten on Tuesday 29th and Wednesday 30th December. Drop by to say hello and have a chat.
- Pick up the phone. If you need to isolate over the winter break, support is available to you. Let us know by completing this survey and a member of the team will be in touch with you over the break to see if there is anything you need.
- Book an appointment. From 4th January usual wellbeing support services will resume. Book an individual appointment using the School booking system.
University of Liverpool COVID-19 support and activities
Whether it's joining a virtual activity or event, visiting the library and using the sports facilities, or accessing University support services, you'll find all of the latest information on the dedicated webpage, Student News and social media channels.
- Take a look at festive events happening this week.
- See what's on over the Christmas break in this news story.
- NEW! Download My Liverpool App and have instant access to events, personalised itineraries and campus maps.
Staying in Liverpool over the Christmas break? Join the counselling service for a coffee, cake and chat on the 29th December. View more information: Christmas 2020 - Coffee, Cake and Chat Poster. (PDF).
Emergency and out of hours support
Mental health and wellbeing support over the winter break is also available from the following organisations:
- Student Space offers students wellbeing advice and support. Text ‘student’ to 85258 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, or call 08081895260 between 16:00 and 23:00.
- Samaritans can be contacted 24/7 on 116123 or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org to get a response within 24 hours.
- Papyrus can be contacted on 0800 068 4141 every day from 9:00 until midnight.
- Text SHOUT to 85258 to access 24/7 mental health support.
- Take a look at the advice available on Brownlow Health about accessing support over Christmas and New Year.
Always remember, if you or someone you know is in an emergency situation you should contact 999 immediately.