Immigration stamp


Our specialist immigration solicitors can advise people about their immigration and nationality status and the applications that they may be able to make to the Home Office.

What we do

  • We have national expertise in Statelessness based applications – with full representation for applications for permission to stay and to register as British citizens on the grounds of statelessness.
  • We advise and assist people with children who want to register as British, and can help with fee waiver applications.
  • We can advise and assist refugees who want to naturalise as British Citizens.
  • We can help with renewal of leave to remain on a discretionary or human rights basis.
  • We can assist with SET(P) applications for refugees seeking Indefinite Leave to Remain.
  • We can support individuals with Refugee status or Humanitarian Protection to obtain travel documents.

Our lawyers are assisted by trained and supervised law students. It is a free service offered to those who cannot afford to pay a lawyer privately elsewhere. In some cases, our lawyers are able to help people write and submit their application, but we cannot offer this service to everyone we advise.

We have a limited number of appointments between October and December, and between February and May. Please contact us if you would like to make an appointment. The best time to contact us is in August and September for appointments in October and November. If you require advice from February to May, please contact us in December and January.  

How to make a referral

Please complete our online referral form. If you are not able to complete the referral form, please send an email with the detail about your case, attaching documents if possible.

If you need to email us, we will need the following information which is requested in our referral form:

  • Your name, address and date of birth
  • Your nationality
  • Your immigration status
  • Any deadlines (e.g. a child in need of immigration or nationality advice and is due turn 18, the date your visa is going to expire, appeal hearing / tribunal deadlines etc)
  • Supporting documents you hold
  • Your estimated income per year (e.g. whether NASS, employment or welfare benefits)

If we can assist, one of our students or lawyers will aim to call back within seven days to take further information.

If you are looking at this website from outside the UK, and you don’t have UK based relatives who may be able to sponsor you, you need to know that UK based lawyers are not allowed to arrange transport to the UK for refugees.  Also, the UK government does not have a visa route for applying for a visa as a refugee from outside the UK.  We can only advise people who are present in the UK about the asylum process.  

Our work for Stateless people

Lawyers at the Law Clinic have worked for stateless people since 2013, when new Immigration Rules were introduced, which allowed the grant of a residence permit to stateless people who do not have the right to live in another country.  We have written a practitioners’ guide to the Rules, a report on the casework that we have done, and we maintain the UK part of the ‘Statelessness Index’.

Further information

Back to: Liverpool Law School