Irish Sea Pilotage
Jump to: Wales , Scotland ,
Isle of Man , Ireland,
Harbours (and some anchorages) in the Irish Sea. Here I gather
information available on the web plus some information from my own visits. Places highlighted in bold have fuller
navigation details from my surveys.
See below for a list of guides available to purchase.
For another web guide (mostly 2004) see here.
Some (smart phone optimised) web info is also available for free
or here for Ireland.
Liverpool tide table
Weather sources (clickable)
Irish sea wind forecasts from POL
[now discontinued] and xc
Wave height forecasts (wind and swell waves) are available from
POL [now discontinued] or from
here or from
Real time wave heights from
list and interactive map.
Subsea cable charts from Kingfisher
Information about Firing Ranges in the Irish
An up-to-date chart (zoomable) is available free
here for already zoomed.
Note that (since 2019) C-Map has a similar online chart
offering. This has the extra useful feature that clicking (selecting -
right-click) on a depth value allows the option of Survey Source to be
displayed - so giving the date of the survey - useful in assessing
whether it is recent or not.
Fishing boat port codes: here
In order around Irish Sea (clockwise from Mull of Galloway):
WN DS; CL MT WO WA BW LR FD PN LL MR RN CH; BS CO AB CA M;
W WD D DA DK; N B;
Note: Kirkcudbright vessels seem to favour register BA (Ballantrae
which is a small registry port 12 miles south of Girvan)
[IOM: DO CT PL RY]
- Dee estuary:
Chester, Heswall, West Kirby,
- Mersey estuary: Liverpool
Manchester Ship Canal,
- Ribble Pilot;
Ribble estuary : Lytham, Freckleton, Douglas, Preston
Wyre (Wardleys and Skippool)
- Lune buoyage and navigation,
Glasson Dock Marina
- Morecambe Bay;
Morecambe and Heysham:
Glasson S C Piel Moorings,
Barrow S C,
- Duddon estuary: Haverigg;
- Ramsey Sound (St. Justinians)
- Teifi estuary
- Porthmadog to Aberdyfi Guide
- Mochras Lagoon
- Llŷn harbours:
-   Porth Ysgaden
-   Porth Dinllaen
- North Wales tidal info
- Menai: Abermenai,
Puffin Island .
Marina[storm damage 2 March 2018 - closed],
- Cemaes, my visit ,
- Traeth Dulas
- Traeth Coch
- Rhos ,
- Dee estuary: Mostyn, Connah's Quay
Isle of Man
Republic of Ireland
- Yacht club sailing directions available as books:
Clyde to Solway 2016;
-     Solway 2011
East and North Coasts of Ireland (11th ed 2008; 12th ed 2014; rev 2018)
of Man Sailing Directions, Tidal Streams and Anchorages (2009 and 2011) updates
- A Dive Guide by Chris Holden which gives lots of detail about the
coast of North Wales:
to Trwyn Porth Dinllaen(ebook).
- Commercial Guides:
-     Reeds Nautical Almanac (also Western Almanac) 2018 (annual)
(updates require a password).
-     Cruising Anglesey
and adjoining waters from Liverpool to Portmadoc (9th ed. revised 2016).
-     Cruising Guide to Anglesey and the Menai Strait
including Conwy, Robert Kemp 1978
-     Cruising Guide to the Isle of Man, Robert Kemp
-     Anglesey and North Wales Coast Pilot, Henry Glazebrook and
Norman Sheldrick, 1961.
-     A cruising guide to northwest England and Wales, George Griffiths 1993
-     Lundy and Irish Sea Pilot, David Taylor, 2nd ed: 2000
-     Irish Sea Pilot, David Rainsbury. (2008)
Back to index here