Irish Sea Pilotage
Jump to: Wales , Scotland ,
Isle of Man , Ireland,
Harbours (and some anchorages) in the Irish Sea. Here I gather
information available on the web plus some information from my own visits. Places highlighted in bold have fuller
navigation details from my surveys.
See below for a list of guides available to purchase.
For another web guide (mostly 2004) see here[discontinued].
Some (smart phone optimised) web info is also available for free
or here for Ireland.
Liverpool tide table
Weather sources (clickable)
Irish sea wind forecasts from POL
[now discontinued] and xc
Wave height forecasts (wind and swell waves) are available from
POL [now discontinued] or from
here or from
Real time wave heights from
list and interactive map.
Subsea cable charts from Kingfisher
Information about Firing Ranges in the Irish
An up-to-date chart (zoomable) is available free
here for already zoomed.
online chart which allows lat and long to be read off by clicking.
Fishing boat port codes: here
In order around Irish Sea (clockwise from Mull of Galloway):
WN DS; CL MT WO WA BW LR FD PN LL MR RN CH; BS CO AB CA M;
W WD D DA DK; N B;
Note: Kirkcudbright vessels seem to favour register BA (Ballantrae
which is a small registry port 12 miles south of Girvan)
[IOM: DO CT PL RY]
- Dee estuary:
Chester, Heswall, West Kirby,
- Mersey estuary: Liverpool
Manchester Ship Canal,
- Ribble Pilot;
Ribble estuary : Lytham, Freckleton, Douglas, Preston
Wyre (Wardleys and Skippool)
- Lune buoyage and navigation,
Glasson Dock Marina
- Morecambe Bay;
Morecambe and Heysham;
Glasson S C Piel Moorings,
Barrow S C,
- Duddon estuary: Haverigg;
Askam Pier also location
of Mersey Flat Oakdale
- Ramsey Sound (St. Justinians)
- Teifi estuary
- Porthmadog to Aberdyfi Guide
- Mochras Lagoon
-   Porth Ysgaden
-   Porth Dinllaen
- North Wales tidal info
- Menai: Abermenai,
Puffin Island .
Marina[storm damage 2 March 2018 - image of status May 2019],
Skerries anchorage, Wrong way!
- Cemaes, my visit ,
- Traeth Dulas
- Traeth Coch
(Red Wharf Bay); more
- Rhos ,
- Dee estuary: Mostyn, Connah's Quay
Isle of Man
Republic of Ireland
- Yacht club sailing directions available as books:
Clyde to Solway 2020;
-     Solway 2011
East and North Coasts of Ireland (11th ed 2008; 12th ed 2014; 13th ed 2020)
updates to 2017,
updates to 2018,
of Man Sailing Directions, Tidal Streams and Anchorages (2009 and 2011) updates
- Dive Guides by Chris Holden which give lots of detail about the
coast of North Wales:
to Trwyn Porth Dinllaen; Dinllaen to South Stack(2 ebooks).
- Commercial Guides:
-     Reeds Nautical Almanac (also Western Almanac) 2020 (annual)
(updates may require a password).
-     Cruising Anglesey
and adjoining waters from Liverpool to Portmadoc, Ralph Morris, (9th ed. revised 2016).
-     Cruising Guide to Anglesey and the Menai Strait
including Conwy, Robert Kemp 1978
-     Cruising Guide to the Isle of Man, Robert Kemp
-     Anglesey and North Wales Coast Pilot, Henry Glazebrook and
Norman Sheldrick, 1961.
-     A cruising guide to northwest England and Wales, George Griffiths 1993
-     Lundy and Irish Sea Pilot, David Taylor, 2nd ed: 2001
updates (2004)[link dead].
Irish Sea Pilot David Rainsbury. (new ed. 2015)
Back to index here