World-leading research ventures and excavations
Learn more about some of our research projects.
Before farming: prehistoric plant use in the Taurus-Zagros arc of Southwest Asia
Dr Eleni Asouti, in collaboration with Dr Ceren Kabukcu, is undertaking a research project, funded by the Leverhulme Trust, investigating how Palaeolithic plant use alongside global climate change shaped plant ecologies, cultivation and domestication in the early Holocene.
The Roman Silver Coinage Project
Dr Matthew Ponting, working with Professor Kevin Butcher, of the University of Warwick is investigating the chemical composition and metallurgical structure of Roman silver coinage. This project, funded by the Leverhulme Trust and AHRC, is casting new light on the Roman state’s approach to coin production and management.
- Illuminating the Land of Light - The Lycia Project
- The Iron Age, Roman Iron Age and Early Medieval Irish Sea Zone
- Boncuklu Höyük Excavations
- Archaeology of graveyards
- Roman Silver Coin Analysis
- The Konya Plain Survey, Central Anatolia
- Charcoal Analysis
- Lucy to Language: The Archaeology of the Social Brain
- Ancient Pistiros: a Classical emporium at Adjiyska Vodenitsa, Vetren (Bulgaria)
- Domestic space and household dynamics at Olynthos, Greece
- Palaeoanthropology of the Central Rift Valley
- Grand designs in Ancient Greece
- Investigating the Deep Roots of Human Behaviour
Classics & Ancient History