The application process for international students differs depending on whether you are applying for an undergraduate or a postgraduate course. You can:

Foundation Certificate and Pre-Masters courses

Please refer to our Foundation Certificate and Pre-Master's pages for information on how to apply.

Undergraduate (Bachelor's degrees)

All international students should apply to the University of Liverpool through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS). You will find full details about applying through UCAS in our undergraduate section.

Please note that all undergraduate courses start in September; we do not offer January entry.

Students in the UK study for 13 years prior to acceptance into University, which can be different to other countries around the world.  

Compulsory education and training in the UK ends at the age of 18, most students prior to this will study for the General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) examinations and then go on to study A-Level (or equivalent) for two years which allow for direct entry to university.

Other countries around the world study for one year less at high school and spend an extra year in Higher Education. This means that degrees are shorter and often more specialised from the beginning in the UK, than in other countries.  If this is your case, you will need to complete a foundation programme at the University of Liverpool International College (UoLIC) prior to commencing your undergraduate degree programme at the University of Liverpool.

Postgraduate degrees (Master's, MRes, PhD, and Doctorates)

Please read our guidance on how to apply for a postgraduate taught degree or postgraduate research degree.

We encourage you to use our approved agents in your country to handle your application. However, if you are applying directly, you can do this via our online application system, Apply Yourself.

We advise that you submit your application as early as possible for our taught master's courses, particularly those in our Management School. 

Applying for a Visa

If you need a student visa to study in the UK, you can find more information about when and how we'll arrange your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number on our CAS pages. Your tuition fee deposit usually needs to be paid before a CAS can be issued.

Please note, following the UK leaving the European Union, EU, EEA and Swiss nationals coming to the UK to study for longer than six months will need to obtain a student visa to enter and remain in the UK. 

For detailed information about applying for a vias, visit our International Advice and Guidance website.