Adaptation and Resilience of Coastal Energy Supply
Reports, News and Outputs
Dissemination is a key component of the ARCoES project.
These documents and the project presentation may be downloaded by following the links below. Additional files will be added to the site as they are published by project teams.
ARCoES video series
Part 1 - Science in Society
Part 2 - Supporting decision makers
Part 3 - Impacting the Environment
Part 4 - Storm chasing
Part 5 - Applying computer models
Decision Support Tool
It consists of a Mapviewer to illustrate the potential flood risks for populated coastal lowlands arising from future sea-level rise and storms. In addition, it includes Animations and allows download access to the model output Data used to generate the maps.
Try the coastal flood risk map: Decision Support Tool.
- Bird C O, Bell P S, Plater A J. (2017). Application of marine radar to monitoring seasonal and event-based changes in intertidal morphology. Geomorphology 285:1-15.
- Phillips B, Brown J, Bidlot J, Plater A. (2017). Role of Beach Morphology in Wave Overtopping Hazard Assessment. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering 5(1):1. DOI 10.3390/jmse5010001
- Almeida L, Masselink G, Russell P, Davidson M, Poate T, McCall R, Turner I. (2013). Observations of the swash zone on a gravel beach during a storm using a laser-scanner (Lidar). Journal of Coastal Research Special Issue 65:636-641. - http://dx.doi.org/10.2112/SI65-108.1
- Brown J, Amoudry L, Mercier F, Souza A. (2013). Intercomparison of the Charnock and COARE bulk wind stress formulations for coastal ocean modelling. Ocean Science 9 (4):721-729. - http://dx.doi:10.5194/os-9-721-2013
- Brown J, Bolaños R, Wolf J. (2013). The depth-varying response of coastal circulation and water levels to 2D radiation stress when applied in a coupled wave–tide–surge modelling system during an extreme storm. Coastal Engineering 82:102-113. - http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.coastaleng.2013.08.009
- Masselink G, van Heteren S. (2014). Response of wave-dominated and mixed-energy barriers to storms. Marine Geology 352:321-347. - http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.margeo.2013.11.004
- McCall R, Masselink G, Poate T, Roelvink J, Almeida L, Davidson M, Russell P. (2014). Modelling storm hydrodynamics on gravel beaches with XBeach-G. Coastal Engineering 91:231-250. - http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.coastaleng.2014.06.007
- Almeida L, Masselink G, Russell P, Davidson M. (2015). Observations of gravel beach dynamics during high energy wave conditions using a laser scanner. Geomorphology, 228:15-27. - http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geomorph.2014.08.019
- Armstrong J, Wilby R, Nicholls R. (2015). Climate change adaptation frameworks: an evaluation of plans for coastal Suffolk, UK. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences 15(11):2511-2524. - http://www.nat-hazards-earth-syst-sci.net/15/2511/2015/
- Brown J, Amoudry L, Souza A, Rees J. (2015). Fate and pathways of dredged estuarine sediment spoil in response to variable sediment size and baroclinic coastal circulation. Journal of Environmental Management 149:209-221. - http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2014.10.017
- Knight P, Prime T, Brown J, Morrissey K, Plater A. (2015). Application of flood risk modelling in a web-based geospatial decision support tool for coastal adaptation to climate change. Natural Hazards and Earth System Science 15(7):1457-1471. - doi:10.5194/nhess-15-1457-2015
- Prime T, Brown JM, Plater AJ. (2015). Physical and economic impacts of sea-level rise and low probability flooding events on coastal communities. PloS one 10 (2): e0117030. - http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0117030
- Wadey M, Brown J, Haigh I, Dolphin T, Wisse P. (2015). Assessment and comparison of extreme sea levels and waves during the 2013/14 storm season in two UK coastal regions. Natural Hazards and Earth System Science 15(10):2209-2225. - doi:10.5194/nhess-15-2209-2015
- Bell P, Bird C, Plater A. (2016). A temporal waterline approach to mapping intertidal areas using X-band marine radar. Coastal Engineering 107:84-101. - http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.coastaleng.2015.09.009
- Brown J, Ciavola P, Masselink G, McCall R, Plater A. (2016). Preface: Monitoring and modelling to guide coastal adaptation to extreme storm events in a changing climate. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 16 (2), pp. 463-467 - http://www.nat-hazards-earth-syst-sci.net/16/463/2016/
- Brown J, Norman D, Amoudry L, Souza A. (2016). Impact of operational model nesting approaches and inherent errors for coastal simulations. Ocean Modelling 107:48-63. - http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ocemod.2016.10.005
- Brown J, Phelps J, Barkwith A, Hurst M, Ellis M, Plater A. (2016). The effectiveness of beach mega-nourishment, assessed over three management epochs. Journal of Environmental Management 184(2):400-408. - http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2016.09.090
- Prime T, Brown J, Plater A. (2016). Flood inundation uncertainty: The case of a 0.5% annual probability flood event. Environmental Science & Policy 59:1-9. - http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envsci.2016.01.018
- Rehner R, McCauley D. (2016). Security, justice and the energy crossroads: Assessing the implications of the nuclear phase-out in Germany. Energy Policy, 88:289-298. - http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2015.10.038
- Almeida L, Masselink G, McCall R, Russell P. (2017). Storm overwash of a gravel barrier: Field measurements and Xbeach-G modelling. Coastal Engineering 120:22-35. - http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.coastaleng.2016.11.009
- Almeida L P, Masselink G, Russell P E, Davidson M, McCall R, Poate T. (2014). Swash zone morphodynamics of gravel and mixed sand and gravel beaches during energetic wave conditions. Conference proceedings International Conference on Coastal Engineering, ASCE, Seoul, Korea. Paper 7706.
- Brown J M, Amoudry L O, Souza A J, Plater A J. (2015). Residual circulation modelling at the national UK scale to identify possible sediment pathways to inform decadal coastal geomorphic evolution models. Conference proceedings: The proceedings of Coastal Sediments 2015.
- Knight P J, Prime T, Brown J M, Plater A J. (2015). (2015) Research Consultancy Report No. 46, Assessing long-term coastal flooding risk for Magnox nuclear power stations. (NOC Consultancy Report).
- Lyddon C, Plater A J, Brown J, Prime T, Wolf J. (2015). The impact of tidal lagoons on future flood risk on the North Wirral and Conwy coastline, UK. (NOC Internal Document No.16).
- Phelps J J C, Brown J M, Plater A J, Barkwith A, Hurst M D, Ellis M A. (2015). Modeling coastal erosion and sediment transport on the Dungeness Foreland, UK (NOC Consultancy Report No.48).
- Prime T, Knight P, Plater A J, Brown J M. (2015). Sandscaping for mitigating coastal flood and erosion risk to energy infrastructure on gravel shorelines: Dungeness flood risk assessment (NOC Consultancy Report No.49).
- Masselink, G. 2013. A week in the life of a storm chaser. Narrative account of ARCoES (and other project) coastal storm monitoring being undertaken by the mobile coastal response unit from the University of Plymouth. New Scientist. 20 March 2013. http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21729092.800-a-week-in-the-life-of-a-storm-chaser.html
- Plater, A. 2012. Adaptation and Resilience of Coastal Energy Supply (ARCoES), ARCC-CN Newsletter (e-publication).December 2012, Issue 9. http://www.arcc-cn.org.uk/wp-content/Newsletters/ACN-news-Dec12.pdf
- Brown J M, Prime T, Plater A J. (2015). Flood risk uncertainty surrounding a 0.5% annual probability event. Conference proceedings: 14th International Workshop on Wave Hindcasting and Forecasting. 8 - 13 November 2015, Key West, United States.
- Poate T, Masselink G, McCall R, Russell P, Davidson M. (2015). UK storms 2014: Gravel beach response. Conference proceedings: Coastal Sediments 2015, ASCE, San Diego, USA.
- Prime T, Brown J M, Plater A J, Dolphin T, Fernand L. (2015). Morphological Control on Overtopping Hazard at Multiple Energy Generation Installations. Conference proceedings: 14th International Workshop on Wave Hindcasting and Forecasting. 8 - 13 November 2015, Key West, United States.
- Dean M, Morrissey K, Plater A. (2016). The Value of Constant Electricity Supply: A Non-market Approach. RSAI British and Irish Section 45th Annual Conference, 30 August - 1 September, Newquay, UK.
- Prime T, Morrissey K, Plater A. (2016). An Economic Appraisal of the Vulnerability of Energy Infrastructure: A Real Options Approach. RSAI British and Irish Section 45th Annual Conference, 30 August - 1 September, Newquay, UK.
- Amoudry, K., Brown, J.M., & Souza, A.J. (2013) A comparison of structured and unstructured grid model performance in the Irish Sea. Oral presentation at Conference of the Coastal & Estuarine Research Federation (CERF), San Diego, CA, 3-7 November 2013. In the General session on hydrodynamics and sediment dynamics in estuaries and coastal seas session.
- Brown, J.M., Amoudry, L.O., Mercier, F. & Souza, A.J. (2013) Wind stress: Which formulation for coastal applications? Poster presentation given at the European Geosciences Union General Assembly (EGU), Vienna, Austria, 7-12 April 2013. In the Oceanography at coastal scales. Modelling, coupling and observations session.
- Brown, J.M., Plater, A., Williams, J., Prime, T. (2013) Seminar: Credible evidence for decision support. Given as part of the NOC- Southampton Marine Physics and Ocean Climate Seminar series, 11 September 2013,
- Brown, J.M., Prime, T., Pedrozo-Acuña, & Briganti, R. (2013) Coastal storm impacts. Oral presentation given at a Shelf Seas workshop, Ensenada, Mexico, 10-11 November 2013.
- Fabók, M. 2013. Nuclear power futures: Processes, epistemic communities and agency. Conference presentation at the RGS-IBG Postgraduate Mid-term conference, University of Birmingham, 25-27th March 2013.
- Fabók, M. 2013. Nuclear power futures: Towards an understanding of agency. Conference presentation at the SPRU (Science and Technology Policy Research) DPhil Day, University of Sussex, 1 May 2013.
- Plater, A. 2012. Numerical modeling of coastal change and resilience: Decision support for climate change adaptation. Invited Conference Presentation at the International Symposium on Climate Change and Human Activities: Coastal Consequences and Responses. State Key Laboratory for Estuarine and Coastal Research and East China Normal University, Shanghai, China, 28-31 October 2012.
- Plater, A. 2012. Making a case for action and thriving local economies resilient to climate change. Invited Presentation and Discussion on developing collaborations between Higher Education, SMEs, Local Authorities and Government Agencies at the Defra Climate Ready Event: Climate Resilient Cities – Linking Research to Practice, 22 November 2012.
- Sneddon, C. 2013. Long-term environmental and health implications of morphological change and sediment transport with respect to contaminants. Conference presentation at COGER (Co-ordinating Group for Environmental Radioactivity) 2013, Loughborough University, 3-5th April 2013.
Brown, J. 2013. Validation of the Charnock and CORE bulk wind stress formulation for coastal application. Poster presentation at the European Geosciences Union General Assembly (EGU), Vienna, 7-12th April 2013.
Prime, T. 2013. Physical, Operational and Economic Resilience of Coastal Energy Networks. Conference Poster at YCSEC (Young Coastal Scientists and Engineers Conference) 2013, University of Aberdeen, 25-26th March 2013.
ARCoES Research Outputs Portfolio to November 2014.
ARCoES Research Outputs Portfolio to April 2016.
ARCoES Research Outputs Portfolio to March 2017.
Research Data created
Information and metadata for research data created by the project is available on the Research Data Catalogue http://datacat.liverpool.ac.uk/. Use search terms such as Division ‘School of Environmental Sciences’, keyword ‘ARCoES’ and other keywords relevant to the area of research to retrieve Metadata / README files. These will indicate location of the data files, either accessed via the Research Data Catalogue or stored elsewhere. Additional files will be added as research is completed.