Our Research Facilities
We have all the resources you need to complete your research or education here:
- Central Teaching Hub (CTH) - The Environmental Sciences Laboratory within the CTH has been developed for flexible learning within the areas of geology, geography, geophysics, oceanography and ecology.
- Cartographic Suite - (Roxby Building & Jane Herdman Building). The Cartographics Design Studio has three full time members of staff and is primarily involved with providing a service to the School of Environmental Sciences, other University departments and external clients, with expertise in Cartography, Graphic Design, Desktop Publishing and Digital Imaging.
- Geographical Information Centre (Roxby Building). There is a computer suite which is devoted to GIS and advanced statistics. There is also a Digitisation Suite which contains a large format roller scanner (Cougart x36), an A3 flatbed scanner, an A0 digitising tablet, two A3 colour printers and a server.
- OSL Laboratory (Roxby Building). The new Luminescence Dating Laboratory has been operational since May 2003.
- Quaternary Environmental Change Laboratory - (Roxby Building) Our facilities allow a wide range of analytical, sampling and survey techniques across environmental change research, includingequipment and expertise for high resolution site investigations and topographical survey; sampling sediments and soil sequences (including open water lakes) ; geochronological analysis (the Liverpool OSL laboratory); environmental chemistry (µXRF scanning, XRF and AAS), particle size and shape analysis, organic content and composition (FTIR and TGA/DSC) and mineralology (FTIR, UV/VIS DRS); environmental magnetic analyses; palaeoecology (pollen, diatoms, dinoflagellates); and a hydraulic flow facility.