Centre for Cell Imaging
The Centre for Cell Imaging (CCI) is a world-class resource for imaging projects using optical microscopy.
The CCI has a state of the art suite of custom-designed temperature-controlled rooms in the Institute of Integrative Biology for optimal live cell imaging. All microscopes have temperature and gas control to maintain cells or organisms alive in their physiological environment.
Our facility is equipped with the latest developments in microscopy. Support for the Centre include recent awards from the Medical Research Council (MRC) and the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) that enabled the acquisition of more than £2 million worth of equipment.
Our imaging equipment includes:
- Five confocal microscopes
- Lightsheet microscope for 3D/4D imaging
- Epifluorescence microscope equipped for super-resolution
- Atomic force microscopy combined with fluorescence (bioAFM)
- Total internal reflection fluorescence (TIRF)
- Fluorescence lifetime imaging microscopy (FLIM)
- Photothermal microscope
Our capabilities include:
- Deep tissue imaging and second harmonic generation (multiphoton)
- High quality imaging of fixed samples
- Long time-lapse imaging of living samples.
We also provide image analysis and support with state of the art software packages for image analysis and an on-site image analyst.
Our wide biological scope
We examine a range of biological samples including malarial parasites, bacteria, mammalian cells, plants, chick embryos and fruit fly. We also have expertise imaging non-biological samples, such as hydrogels, cage nanocrystals and antibacterial surfaces.
The CCI is a shared research facility operating under the umbrella of the Technology Directorate and part of the network of microscopy facilities in the UK (UK-Bioimaging). We are recommended as a European Node by an independent international evaluation board.
The CCI is open for service and collaboration. We provide support and training for all imaging modalities available and for experimental design. Secured data storage and OMERO software for data retrieval and sharing are available.