BEng Mechatronics & Robotic Systems, 2018


My Background

I was born and raised in Oxford, there I attended St Joseph’s Primary School, then from year 7 through to A Levels I studied at The Cherwell School. During my choices for University, there were two key factors which drew me towards The University of Liverpool and ultimately made it the perfect choice for myself. Firstly, the University of Liverpool is a well-respected university, part of the Russell Group, with a high standard of education and excellent graduate employment statistics. Secondly, which I believe is almost equally a big factor, is the consideration of Liverpool as a city to live in for three years. Liverpool certainly lived up to my expectations and I thoroughly enjoyed living in Liverpool during my studies. There are a multitude of things to do around the city for all ages and types of people; more than just good nightlife for students. I certainly anticipate visiting Liverpool regularly in the future.

Who do you work for?

Straight after I graduated in summer 2018, I began working for the UK Atomic Energy Authority (UKAEA) in the Remote Applications in Challenging Environments (RACE) department. We are part of the government’s Robotics and Autonomous Systems (RAS) strategy, this is one of the initiatives that is supporting development and growth in remote handling, paving the way for the UK to be a world leader in this area.

I could not be happier with this as a first job. Not only is it very much a learning environment where my development and adaptation to the industry is supported, but the field of engineering of which we work in is like no other. This makes every day exciting, interesting and positively challenging.

What does your role involve?

I am currently on a two-year graduate scheme, this means that 20% of my time per week is spent on graduate development activities; the other 80% is spent doing job related work. My day to day tasks include: designing, researching and optioneering the elements to a remote handling solution.

What was your best experience of studying in the Department of Electrical Engineering at Liverpool?

The department has some very experienced and knowledgeable members of staff, these inspired me and supported me through my higher education journey. Over the course of my three years I had two supervisors, I am very grateful to both for their support and guidance. The EEE Department encourages engagement with academic staff from day 1, as everyone is assigned a direct point of contact. The academic staff are world class researchers and able to help both with the ‘hard’ engineering skills but also providing advice and support with the ‘softer’ skills. Liverpool is an incredible city to study in. I will truly miss Liverpool, there is no city that can compare.