China currently has one of the largest economies in the world and Chinese is the first language for over one billion people globally.
- Take Chinese with two other languages on our BA in Modern Languages
- We offer an MA postgraduate course in Chinese-English Translation and Interpreting
- We offer supervision for postgraduates of Chinese Studies as part of the MRes in Modern Languages and Cultures.
You can take Chinese with another language, Politics, Business studies and many more subjects.
- Find out more about combined degrees.
Download our Module descriptions for Chinese (pdf).
Study Abroad in China
For any combination of subjects, you can opt to spend a year in China as a student at our partner institution, the Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJLTU) in Suzhou, on China's east coast.
- For 50% students of Chinese the Year Abroad is mandatory and is taken in Year 3.
- For 25% students of Chinese, the Year Abroad is optional but strongly recommended in Year 3.
Dr Angela Becher (Modern Languages and Cultures) Academic Lead for Chinese Studies
Professor Doug Baird (Archaeology, Classics and Egyptology)
Dr Christopher Bartley (Philosophy)
Dr Penny Ding (Modern Languages and Cultures)
Dr Chonglong Gu (Modern Languages and Cultures)
Dr Lingzhi Gu (Modern Languages and Cultures)
Dr Lei Peng (Modern Languages and Cultures)
Dr Junqing Wu (History)
The Institute is a focal point for all China-related activity in Merseyside, working closely with schools and colleges, local businesses, community groups and individuals to promote Chinese language and culture.