Through the people named on the awards, students can also gain a connection to the long legacy of language learning and teaching in the department.
A connection to esteemed staff
Some of our awards are named after esteemed former staff, who were specialists in the subject areas and dedicated their lives to their work. They were established thanks to the generosity and foresight of their families and friends, which has allowed us to celebrate the success and dedication of our students today.
The E. Allison Peers Prize in Hispanic Studies is named after the founding professor of Spanish (1922-1952) and a renowned author credited with coining the phrase, 'The red brick university'. The David Williams Prize in German is named after the late Professor of German at the University from 1954 to 1980 who was also the Pro-Vice-Chancellor from 1965 to 1968.
Links with the city
Other awards are named after individuals who have strong links to the city or who contributed to the University during their studies.
The Giuseppe Rinvolucri Prize was established in memory of the eponymous Italian engineer and architect by his Liverpool-born wife Mrs Mina Moore-Rinvolucri.
The Heather Osborne Memorial Award for French Theatre or French Cinema in memory of University alumna and former national swimming champion. Heather Osborne (BA Hons French 1997) died tragically in an accident in Italy in December 1997, aged 24. Her involvement in the University’s then active French Dramatic Society, 'Les Marottes', has resulted in a lasting legacy thanks to the donation in her memory by the society.
- Lovatt-Green Travel Scholarship for students of French/German/Hispanic/ Italian/Latin American Studies.
- Grace Brown Prizes in French, Italian, Catalan/Galician, Lusophone Studies and Linguistics.
Heather Osborne Memorial Award for French Theatre or French Cinema.
- Korbach Prizes for year one and two language and for best dissertation.
- Baring Prizes for best in essay writing, translation studies, and year abroad project.
- David Williams Prize in German language.
Giuseppe Rinvolucri Prize for beginners language.
Iberian and Latin American Studies
- Spanish, Catalan and Portuguese language and translation.
- E Allison Peers Prize for best year two student.
- Harald Hall Memorial Prize in Hispanic Studies and Portuguese.
- Jose Herrera Oropeza Prizes for undergraduate and post-graduate.
- Jill R Webster Prize for Spanish essay.
- Etxepare Basque Prizes for beginners language.