The Maths EDI Champions group aims to make the Department of Mathematical Sciences a safe environment for everyone. We do not tolerate any sort of discrimination by race, gender, sexuality, disability or religion, among others. Thank you all for making our department more inclusive every day!
The Department of Mathematical Sciences adheres to the following core values:
- Respect: Always behave respectfully towards colleagues and recognise that others are different.
- Open Mindedness: Listen to others’ opinions with an open mind.
- Fairness: Consider others’ perspectives and avoid bias.
- Equality: Discourage discriminatory behaviour and practice.
- Accountability: Speak truthfully, recognise that your words and actions matter and take responsibility for them.
- Inclusiveness: Actively promote a culture which is open and friendly to all.
- Collegiality: Support your colleagues; do not undermine their work publicly or privately. If you provide feedback, make sure it is always constructive.
- Teamwork: Collaborate and work together where appropriate.
Rainbow lanyards are a great way to show your support for equality, diversity and inclusion. They are freely available to both students and staff. If you want one, you can get it from the student support office located on the ground floor of the maths building!
If you have experienced any issue or need support, please reach out and get in contact with your Equality, Diversity and Inclusion representatives at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try our best to help you or direct you to the appropriate people that can offer support (all enquires will be kept confidential). The School of Physical Sciences webpage has some resources about mental health and wellbeing. On the other hand, the University has a Report & Support service in case you have experienced or witnessed bullying, harassment, sexual misconduct, or hate crimes. If you are unsure about what to do, please feel free to get in contact with us!