Our cutting edge research programme and award-winning teaching provide great opportunities for you to study French and all aspects of French culture with us in their global context.
Download our module catalogues to learn more about what we offer.
Why study with us?
- Teaching and research in French studies have been central to the University’s mission since its foundation in 1881
- The James Barrow Chair of French, established in 1905, was among the first endowed positions in French in English Higher Education
- Language classes taught in a friendly environment (including grammar, oral and language laboratory exercises)
- Fully-equipped Language lounge that can also be used for private study
- Seven months in Year 3 studying or working in France or another French-speaking country on your Year Abroad
The most exciting thing about my subject is the opportunity to explore and teach different ways in which the French language is used across the world. - Robert Blackwood, Reader in French Sociolinguistics