QCM-D is a very flexible, real-time technique with nanogram sensitivity that enables analysis of phenomena such as:
- Uptake/release of material from surfaces
- Friction forces
- Interactions and reactions on surfaces
- Cross-linking and aggregation
- Thin film swelling, dissolution and corrosion.
Systems that can be studied include:
- Polymers, proteins and lipids
- Nanoparticles and nanocomposites
- Petroleum components.
Due to its versatility, the QCM-D can be used for a number of research and industrial applications, including:
- Biomaterials and medical devices
- Consumer products e.g. cleaning and detergent analysis
- Biofuels, environmental and energy