John has undertaken research and consultancy projects for a variety of public, private and third sector organisations. Clients have included Manchester Academic Health Sciences Centre, P&O Shopping Centres, Skillsmart Retail, the Tasmanian Ambulance Service, the Toyota Motor Corporation, the Churches Conservation Trust, and Bury Metropolitan Borough Council.
He has held the following External Examiner positions:
- 2018 - date: Open University - BA (Hons) Business and Management.
- 2016 - 2019: Kingston University London - MBA.
- 2016: Glasgow Caledonian University - PhD.
- 2012-2016: Manchester Metropolitan University - Executive Programmes.
- 2009-2013: Singapore Polytechnic - Diploma in Business Administration.
- International Journal of Consumer Studies (Member of the Editorial Review Board, 2020 - present)
- Journal of Place Management and Development (Member of the Editorial Board, 2015 - present)
- Journal of Place Management and Development (Academic Editor, 2008 - 2015)
Professional Body Memberships
- Higher Education Academy (Fellow, 2002 - present)
- Royal Geographical Society (with the Institute of British Geographers) (Fellow, 1999 - present)