Professor John Field, PhD, FRCPath has a Personal Clinical Chair in Molecular Oncology at the University of Liverpool. He is a Visiting Professor at University College London, holds the post of Director of Research of the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Research Programme. He is the Chief Investigator for the UK Lung Cancer Screening Trial (UKLS). Previous Chair of the IASLC Screening Prevention & Early Detection Committee and he formed IASLC Strategic Screening Advisory Group. Member of the ILCCO Steering Committee He was presented with the IASLC Joseph Cullen Award at the WCLC 2011, in recognition of lifetime scientific achievements in lung cancer prevention research. He is Chair of the IASLC Strategic Screening Advisory Committee.
He is the principle investigator of the Liverpool Lung Project, a molecular- epidemiological study into the early detection of lung cancer (~12,000 recruited), funded by the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation. The UKLS and the LLP form part of the NCRI Lung Cancer portfolio. He is also a Partner in the FP7 CURELUNG and LCAOS projects and the NIH GWAS non-smokers and the Oncoarray studies. He is also heavily involved in the identification of molecular diagnostic markers in lung and head & neck cancers. His research funding has been provided mainly by the RCF, NWCRF, MRC, CRUK, EU, NIH and the HTA.
Professor Field is the author of over 270 international (peer reviewed) papers in his area of expertise and has given more than 350 presentations at medical and scientific conferences around the world.
Prizes or Honours
- IASLC Joseph Cullen Award (IASLC, 2012)
Other Personal Distinctions
- Director of the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Research Programme (Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation, 2004)
- Director of Research, Roy Castle International Centre for Lung Cancer (Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation, 1997)
- Chairman of the EU Early Lung Cancer Detection Group. (EU Early Lung Cancer Detection Group., 1996)
- Visiting Professor in the Eastman Dental Institute (University College London, November 1996 , 1996)