I am the Deputy-Dean of the School of Life Sciences. I am also the Director of Internationalisation and the PGT lead.
As Postgraduate Lead, I have a leadership role on the Institute of System, Molecular and Integrative Biology and the School of Life Sciences MSc programmes.
As Director of Internationalisation, my role is the further strengthening of the partnership with Professional Services, especially International Development, to ensure that all aspects of internationalisation are enhanced across the School.
I teach bioinformatics at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. My passion for teaching bioinformatics has been recognised by four Teaching Awards: 2013 and 2016 Excellence in Teaching and the 2015/16 Sir Alistair Pilkington, and 2019 Biochemical Society Teaching Excellence. The latter is related to a students-as-partners teaching approach helping with student engagement and employability skills development.
I conduct pedagogical research which has led to several publications, and I am the Editor-in-Chief of Education with FEBS Open BIO. I am a Principal Fellow of the HEA and a Fellow of the RSB. I am a member of the Biochemical Society, where I am the Chair of the Training Panel and the deputy-chair of on the Education Committee. I am a member of FEBS Education Committee, and an assessor for RSB accreditation. I have PGCert and MA in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education.
Prizes or Honours
- Principal HEA (2020)
- Biochemical Society Teaching Excellence Award (Biochemical Society, 2019)
- Distinguished Visiting Staff (International Teaching Excellence) (2016)
- Learning & Teaching Awards (Faculty of Health and Life Sciences, University of Liverpool, 2016)
- Sir Alastair Pilkington Award (2015/16) (Faculty of Health and Life Sciences, University of Liverpool, 2016)
- Excellence in Teaching Award (Faculty of Health and Life Sciences, University of Liverpool, 2013)