I am a Professor of Marketing and the Director of Education for the Marketing Subject Group.
With its central focus of improving quality of life for vulnerable consumers, my research examines ways in which marginalized consumers face difficulties in access to and consumption of products and services. My recent research in health emphasizes the ways in which service needs to be refined in order to improve access and experience for vulnerable consumers. I have expertise in marketing to older consumers, successfully completing several consultancy projects with SMEs and mainstream brands in both the public and private sector.
More recently my research has incorporated health, and in particular palliative and end-of-life care. To date I have completed research projects with several NHS palliative care providers and different hospices around the UK. This work has attracted numerous grants and has informed government policy at varous levels. My work has been cited at Cabinet Questions and I have received invitations to speak at Westminster and to various Government bodies.
I have gained international recognition for my research, illustrated by several invitations to speak at international conferences and several international research awards including two Emerald Literati Awards. In 2023 I was recognized by the Association for Consumer Research for my film about my research into COVID-19 bereavement. You can watch the film here: https://vimeo.com/713190558/f4c3897719
I have experience of teaching a range of marketing courses to undergraduate and postgraduate students, and have received School teaching excellence awards for three years. I particularly like to focus on authentic assessments that are applied to real-world issues and develop and enhance lifelong learning skills for students. In 2021 I won a Faculty Learning, Teaching and Student Experience Award.
Prizes or Honours
- Best New-Film Award (Association for Consumer Research, 2023)
- Best First-Time Film (Association for Consumer Research, 2023)
- Faculty Learning, Teaching and Student Experience Award (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, 2021)
- Award (Association for Palliative Medicine’s Supportive and Palliative Care, 2019)
- Best Paper Award (The Clute Institute, International Business Conference, New York, 2015)
- Highly Commended Award (Emerald Literati Network, 2010)
- Outstanding Paper Award (Emerald Literati Network, 2010)
- Award for Best Paper in Track (Academy of Marketing, 2007)