Dr Pentassuglia is a Reader (equivalent to full professor in North America) in International Law and Human Rights and is currently serving as a Visiting Professor at the University of Deusto, Bilbao.
He was formerly an Adjunct Professor at Munich University, a Guest Professor at the University of Lund Raoul Wallenberg Institute of Human Rights and Humanitarian Law, and a Senior Research Fellow at the European Centre for Minority Issues. He has been a post-doctoral Marie Curie Fellow in Law, a Visiting Research Scholar at the University of Michigan Law School, a Visiting Fellow at the Max Planck Institute for Public Comparative Law and International Law in Heidelberg, and a Visiting Researcher at the University of Lapland.
Since joining Liverpool University he has been a Fernand Braudel Senior Fellow at the European University Institute, and has taught as a visiting professor at the University of Toronto, University of Palermo, Academy of European Law, EUI, and University of Deusto, among other institutions.
He specialises in public international law and international human rights law, particularly the rights of minorities and indigenous peoples and wider matters of group accommodation. He has authored approximately fifty publications, including four monographs, three edited collections, one multi-authored guide and several articles in prestigious legal journals.
Gaetano is currently a member of the Senate (2017-2020) and is serving as School of Law and Social Justice (Level 2) Director of Postgraduate Research.
- Lecture (Invitation to Speak, Tom Lantos Institute, Budapest 2017)
- Public lecture and public panel debate (Invitation to Speak, Tom Lantos Institute, Budapest 2016)
- Advisory services (Invitation to Speak, United Nations International Law Commission 2016)
- Visiting Professor (Invitation to Perform, University of Deusto, Bilbao 2016)
- Workshop and public panel debate (Invitation to Speak, Raoul Wallenberg Institute, University of Lund 2015)
- Visiting Professor (Invitation to Speak, Belgian Royal Academy of Science/University of Liege 2011)
- Visiting Professor (Invitation to Perform, European University Institute 2011)
- Fernand Braudel Senior Fellowship (Competitive Fellowship, European University Institute, Department of Law, Italy 2010)
- External Expert for Post-doctoral Grant Awarding Committee (Invitation to Perform, Fonds Société et Culture du Québec - Programme: Bourses Postdoctorales 2010)
- Selected for inclusion in Who's Who in the World, 2011 (Marquis Who's Who in the World (2011) 2010)
- Seminar (Invitation to Speak, European University Institute 2010)
- Senior Fellow (European Centre for Minority Issues, Germany 2010)
- Paper presentation (Invitation to Speak, European University Institute 2010)
- Visiting Professorship (University of Palermo Faculty of Law 2009)
- Visiting Professorship in International Human Rights Law (University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2009)
- Visiting Professorship (Invitation to Speak, University of Palermo 2008)
- Lecture on Indigenous Rights and International Jurisprudence (Invitation to Speak, University of Lancaster 2008)
- Lecture (Invitation to Speak, European University Institute 2006)
- Research Development Fund Grant Holder (Univerity of Liverpool 2005)
- Seminars (Invitation to Speak, European Academy of Bolzano/University of Graz 2004)
- Lecture (Invitation to Speak, European University Institute 2001)
- Post-doctoral Marie Curie Fellowship in Law (Competitive Fellowship, European Commission, EU 2001)
- Post-doctoral Marie Curie Fellowship in Law (Competitive Fellowship, European Commission, EU 1999)
- Academic Senate (2017-2020); School of Law and Social Justice (Level 2) Director of Postgraduate Research; School of Law and Social Justice Postgraduate Research Committee (Chair); HSS Faculty Postgraduate Research Committee; formerly: Departmental Research Internationalisation Lead; External Relations Committee; PGT Review Working Group; School of Law and Social Justice Research and Impact Committee; Director, LLM Programme (taught); Director, LLM Programmes (online); Director, Human Rights and International Law Unit; School Postgraduate Research Committee