Dr Amel Alghrani is a Reader in Law and is also Associate Dean (Education) for the School of Law and Social Justice (SLSJ).
Amel came to Liverpool as a Senior Lecturer in 2013. Prior to this she held positions as a Research Associate at the Centre for Social Ethics and Policy, led by Professors Margaret Brazier and Soren Holm (University of Manchester, 2008-11); a Research Fellow at the Institute of Science Ethics and Innovation, led by Nobel Laureate Sir John Sulston and Professor John Harris (2011-2012); and a Family Law Lecturer at the University of Manchester (2012-2013).
Following her undergraduate LLB Law degree, she obtained a Masters and PhD and was called to the Bar in 2003, having won a prestigious £10,000 scholarship from the Honourable Society of the Inner Temple.
Amel currently sits on the SLSJ Senior Management Team and chairs the School Education Committee and the School Teaching Development Fund. She also sits on the Faculty Education Committee, Faculty Progress Committee and the University Board of Discipline. She is the founding director of the Health Law and Regulation Unit (https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/law/research/health-law-and-regulation-unit/) and leads the Critical Medical Humanities Theme of the Centre for the Humanities and Social Sciences of Health, Medicine and Technology (https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/humanities-social-sciences-health-medicine-technology/).
Dr Alghrani currently supervises a number of PhD students and is happy to supervise doctoral research within her expertise.
Her recent research includes:
*A monograph titled 'Assisted Reproductive Technologies: New Horizons: Regulating the Future of Human Reproduction' published by Cambridge University Press, November 2018.
*A. Alghrani “Uterus Transplantation in and beyond cisgender women: Revisiting procreative liberty in light of emerging reproductive technologies” (2018) 5 (2) Journal of Law and the Biosciences 301-328 (15, 932 words).
* (With D. Griffiths), “Surrogacy Regulation In The UK: the Case For Reform” (2017) 29 (2) Child and Family Law Quarterly 165 - 186.
In edited collections:
• A. Alghrani (with, J. Marsh & A.Ali) Leyla Sahin Case, Feminist Legal Judgements Project (Hart, 2018). Forthcoming.
• A. Alghrani ‘Re A’ in H. Stalford, K. Hollingsworth, S. Gilmore (eds) Rewriting Children’s Rights Judgments: From Academic Vision to New Practice (Hart, 2017) pp 264-272.
Dr Alghrani is a member of the International Advisory Board on an exciting research project "Ice Age: Entangled Lives, Times and Ethics in Fertility Preservation" funded by the Danish Research Council.
She is also a co-editor of the Medical Law International alongside Dr Paula Case and Professor Marie Fox.
Media queries welcome.
- Faculty Learning and Teaching Award. (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Liverpool 2018)
- Woman of the Year Finalist and Personal Recommendation Award in 'Contribution to Medicine' Category (The English Women's Awards 2018)
- Teacher of the Year (Liverpool Guild of Students 2015)
- Scholarship (The Honorable Inner Temple Inns of Court 2002)
- Associate Dean (Education)
- Member of the SLSJ Senior Management Team
- Director of the Health Law & Regulation Unit
- Member of the University’s Board of Discipline
- Senior Tutor (2013-2017)