Dr Amel Alghrani has been a Senior Lecturer at Liverpool since 2013. She is also Associate Dean (Education) for the School of Law and Social Justice (SLSJ) and sits on the SLSJ Senior Management Team. She chairs the School Board of Studies Committee and sits on the Faculty Education Committee, Faculty Progress Committee and the University Board of Discipline. She set up the Health Law and Regulation Unit research cluster in 2013 and is one of its Directors.
Prior to her present appointment, Amel held positions as a Research Associate at the Centre for Social Ethics and Policy, led by Professors Margaret Brazier and Soren Holm (University of Manchester, 2008-11); a Research Fellow at the Institute of Science Ethics and Innovation, led by Nobel Laureate Sir John Sulston and Professor John Harris (2011-2012); and a Family Law Lecturership (University of Manchester, 2012-2013).
Following her undergraduate LLB Law degree, she obtained a Masters and PhD and was called to the Bar in 2003, having won a prestigious £10,000 scholarship from the Honourable Society of the Inner Temple.
Dr Alghrani currently supervises a number of PhD students and is happy to supervise doctoral research within her expertise.
Her recent research includes:
*A monograph titled 'Assisted Reproductive Technologies: New Horizons: Regulating the Future of Human Reproduction' which will be published by Cambridge University Press in November 2018.
*A. Alghrani “Uterus Transplantation in and beyond cisgender women: Revisiting procreative liberty in light of emerging reproductive technologies” (2018) Journal of Law and the Biosciences (15, 932 words) Forthcoming.
* (With D. Griffiths), “Surrogacy Regulation In The UK: the Case For Reform” (2017) 29 (2) Child and Family Law Quarterly 165 - 186.
Dr Alghrani is a member of the International Advisory Board on an exciting research project "Ice Age: Entangled Lives, Times and Ethics in Fertility Preservation" funded by the Danish Research Council.
She is also a co-editor of the Medical Law International alongside Dr Paula Case and Professor Marie Fox.
Media queries welcome.
- Faculty Learning and Teaching Award. (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Liverpool 2018)
- Woman of the Year Finalist and Personal Recommendation Award in 'Contribution to Medicine' Category (The English Women's Awards 2018)
- Teacher of the Year (Liverpool Guild of Students 2015)
- Scholarship (The Honorable Inner Temple Inns of Court 2002)
- Associate Dean (Education)
- Member of the SLSJ Senior Management Team
- Director of the Health Law & Regulation Unit
- Member of the University’s Board of Discipline
- Senior Tutor (2013-2017)