I am Senior Lecturer in contemporary literature and co-director of the Centre for New and International Writing. My research is primarily based around late 20th and 21st century American literature, with a particular focus on form and structure in the contemporary novel and the legacies of postmodernism. I also have research interests in notions of literary haunting, literature and cinema and comics/graphic novels. I lead Illustrating Futures, a collaboration with Comics Youth CIC and Tate Liverpool, which addresses the use of comics and graphic novels in the treatment of mental health issues in children and young people.
I have researched and published extensively on the writer David Foster Wallace. I am author of David Foster Wallace: Fiction and Form (2016) and editor of Consider David Foster Wallace (2010). In 2013-14 I was the recipient of an Andrew W. Mellon Research Fellowship at the Harry Ransom Centre, University of Texas at Austin, for the purposes of researching Wallace's archive.
I am also a writer of fiction, and in 2019 my debut novel Zealandia was shortlisted for the Fitzcarraldo Editions Novel Prize. My writing has appeared in, among other publications, The Los Angeles Review of Books, Critical Engagements and 3:AM Magazine. I have been invited to speak about my research at institutions including New York University, The Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Ca' Foscari University of Venice, Trinity College Dublin, University of York and University of Birmingham. I would be happy to receive applications for PhD supervision in any of the above areas.
My office hour in semester 1 2019-20 is Friday at 12pm
Prizes or Honours
- Shortlisted, 2019 Fitzcarraldo Editions Novel Prize (Fitzcarraldo Editions, 2019)
- School of the Arts Research Development and Impact Fund Award for 'Illustrating Futures' collaboration (University of Liverpool, 2017)
- Santander Travel Grant (Santander, 2017)
- Knowledge Exchange Voucher, Illustrating Futures collaboration (University of Liverpool, 2017)
- School of the Arts Research Development Initiative Fund Award (University of Liverpool, 2012)
- British Association of American Studies Research Travel Grant (British Association of American Studies, 2011)
- 2013-14 Harry Ransom Centre Research Fellowship in the Humanities (Andrew W. Mellon Foundation) (University of Texas at Austin, 2013)