Dr Malathouni is an architect and architectural historian with extensive experience in the heritage sector, specialising in twentieth century architectural heritage. She studied at the School of Architecture, National Technical University of Athens, and also holds a MSc and a PhD degree from The Bartlett, University College London. Malathouni is registered with the Architects Registration Bureau (ARB, UK); is full member of the Technical Chamber of Greece (Registered Architect), the Institute of Historic Building Conservation (IHBC, UK) and ICOMOS-UK, and an Associate Member of ICOMOS-ISC20C. For her postgraduate studies and doctoral research she has received grants from The Society of Architectural Historians of Great Britain, the UCL Graduate School, The Bartlett School of Architecture, the State Scholarships Foundation (Greece) and the A. S. Onassis Public Benefit Foundation (Greece).
- Scott Opler Emerging Scholar Fellowship (Competitive Fellowship, Society of Architectural Historians (USA) 2014)
- Heritage Alliance Heroes Award (team member) (Heritage Alliance 2014)
- RIBA President's Awards for Research (PhD thesis) (nomination) (RIBA 2011)
- Academic Lead for Education, School of the Arts (Jan.2015-Jan.2017)
- Progress Committee, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (2012-date)