Loans and grants for undergraduate students

UK undergraduate students can get Government support via a range of loans and grants. This is designed to cover the payment of tuition fees and help with living costs while you study.

Loans for students from England

The Government offers two types of student loans for eligible undergraduates.

  • Tuition fee loans cover the payment of tuition fees
  • Maintenance loans help with living costs.

Both are subject to repayment once you've graduated, but you won't have to start paying back your student loans until you're earning over the repayment threshold, which is currently £25,000.

Other UK countries have different repayment thresholds. Please refer to your Government's website.

Tuition fee loans

As a student from England, Wales or Northern Ireland, you can take out a tuition fee loan to cover your tuition fees for your first degree. This means you don't have to pay your fees in advance or during your time at university.

If you take out a tuition fee loan, the Government pays your tuition fees directly to the university. You only start paying back your student loans when you have graduated and are earning over a certain income threshold.

If you're from England, if you have not repaid the loan 40 years after you have left university, then any remaining debt will be written off.

Maintenance loans

As well as a tuition fee loan, you may be eligible for a maintenance loan to help with living costs. This includes accommodation, travel, food and study costs. Maintenance loans are paid in three instalments, directly into your bank account.

The exact amount available to you depends on:

  • your household income, in other words how much your parents or supporters earn
  • whether or not you intend to live at home as a student
  • whether you'll be studying abroad as part of your programme
  • whether you're studying for a programme subsidised by the NHS.
 Minimum entitlementMaximum entitlement
Student Finance England    
Living at home £3,790 £8,610
Living away from home (outside of London) £4,767 £10,227
Studying Overseas (i.e. Study Abroad)    
All £5,667 £11,713

Note: Loan figures correct for 2024 entry.

Student loan repayments

You'll only start repaying any government loans in the April after you leave university, if you're in work and earning over £25,000 per year.

Repayments will be made at 9% of income above this £25,000 threshold so the amount repaid each month will depend on your earnings. If for any reason your income falls below £25,000, your repayments will be suspended. Student finance payments are straightforward as they will be deducted automatically from your pay through the tax system (PAYE).

Interest will be charged at the Retail Price Index.

If you have not paid off your loan after 40 years, all outstanding repayments will be written off.

Please note, repayment thresholds may differ if you're not from England. Please visit GOV.UK or refer to your Government's website for repayment thresholds outside of England.

Government grants for students from England

Student grants provide non-repayable money for students with specific circumstances or needs. 

Disabled Students' Allowance

If you have a disability or specific learning difficulty, you may be entitled to support tailored to your individual needs. You can apply for help with the cost of specialist equipment, such as computer software, extra travel costs due to a disability, or other support necessary to study on your programme.

We recommend that you apply for this funding as soon as possible, rather than waiting until you have confirmed your place with us.

Further information, including how to apply, is available on the the Disabled Students' Allowance website. Our Disability Support Team can help you with your application.

Grants for students with children

Students with dependants may be eligible for additional financial support. This support may include additional grants such as the Parents Learning AllowanceAdult Dependants Grant and Childcare Grant which is used towards paying childcare costs.

You should apply for these grants while making your main application for funding. You can contact the University's Money Advice and Guidance Team for further advice.

How students from England can apply for Government funding

Applications are made online to Student Finance England. If you require assistance, you can call the Student Finance England customer helpline on 0300 100 0607.

Apply online for student finance

More information on applying for student finance

We recommend that you start your student finance application as soon as you are able. The application process normally opens around February in the year you intend to go to university. You don’t need to wait until you have received all your offers, or decided for sure where you want to go to apply for funding. Make sure you submit your application by the deadline, which is normally the end of May in the year you hope to start your programme.

Loans and grants for other UK nations

If you're from Northern Ireland, Wales or Scotland, refer to the relevant website to check what financial help you are eligible for and apply.

Northern Ireland

Student Finance Northern Ireland


Student Awards Agency Scotland 


Student Finance Wales

Back to: Paying for your studies