Rajendra Bhansali joined the University of Liverpool in 1971, initially as a Lecturer in Statistics and successively holding posts as a Senior Lecturer, Reader and Professor. Upon his retirement from the University of Liverpool in 2008, Rajendra Bhansali joined the Xian Jiatong-Liverpool University as a Professor for three more academic years, 2008-11.
During his tenure at the University of Liverpool, Professor Bhansali held a wide range of managerial and administrative duties, including serving on the Management Committee of the Department of Mathematical Sciences, 1996-2004 and Chair of the New Undergraduate Degree Courses Committee, 1999-2002. This last-named committee also initiated the introduction of the BSc(Honours) degree in Mathematics with Finance, G1N3, and the Mathematical Finance stream in the departmental M.Sc. degree in Mathematical Sciences.
Professor Bhansali was also the pioneering Course Director for the BSc degree in Mathematics with Finance,
Rajendra Bhansali obtained the BSc(Econ) and PhD degrees in Statistics from the London School of Economics in 1967 and 1971 respectively and a B.Com. degree with Actuarial Science as a Specialist Subject from the University of Bombay in 1964.
Professor Bhansali is currently a Visiting Professor in Statistics at the Imperial College, London and an Emeritus Professor at the University of Liverpool.
Professor Bhansali's research is in Statistical Analysis of Time Series with special focus on Prediction Theory, Model Selection, Spectral Analysis, Long Memory Time Series, Stable Laws and Multiple Time Series. In addition his research also extends to statistical analysis of data collected over space and higher dimension. He has published extensively in these areas.
Professor Bhansali is a Fellow of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics, a Fellow of the American Statistical Association and an Elected Member of the International Statistical Institute.
Professor Bhansali currently serves on the Editorial Boards of the Italian Journal of Statistics and Journal of Forecasting and he has in the past served as an Associate Editor of the Journal of the American Statistical Association
Professor Bhansali has held visiting appointments at several different universities in USA, Canada, Australia, Italy, Spain, Austria and Germany, including Carlos III University in Madrid, Spain, Texas A & M University in USA and University of Western Ontario, Canada.
- Seminar (Invitation to Speak, Carlos III University of Madrid, Spain 2014)
- Seminar (Invitation to Speak, the ESSEC Business School , École Supérieure des Sciences Économiques et Commerciales, Paris 2014)
- Seminar (Invitation to Speak, Supelec, École supérieure d'électricité, Paris 2013)
- Seminar (Invitation to Speak, The Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece 2013)
- Invited talk (Invitation to Speak, ERCIM Working Group 2011)
- Session on Spatio-Temporal Models (Invitation to Speak, International Indian Statistical Association(IISA) 2007)
- Invited talk (Invitation to Speak, University of Rome 'La Sapienza', Italy 2007)
- Seminar (Invitation to Speak, Department of Statistics, University of Toronto, Canada 2007)
- Seminar in Statistics (Invitation to Speak, Department of Statistics, University of Western Ontario, Canad 2007)
- Lead speaker (Invitation to Speak, University of Chieti-Pescara, Italy 2006)
- External Assessor (Jury Member) (Invitation to Perform, Faculte des Sciences de Luminy, Universite de la Mediterranee, AIX-MARSEILLE II, France 2006)
- Statistics Seminar (Invitation to Speak, University of Sheffield 2006)
- Seminari di Econometria: 2004-2005 (Invitation to Speak, Universita di RomaTor Vergata, Italy 2005)
- Statistics seminar (Invitation to Speak, University of Bologna, Italy 2005)
- International Nonlinear and Nonstationary time series Workshop (Invitation to Speak, University of Kaisserslautern, Germany 2005)
- A series of seminars in Interpolation of Time Series and Model Selection (Invitation to Speak, Universita degli studi di Chieti-Pescara,Italy 2005)
- Seminar in Statistics (Invitation to Speak, Universita degli studi di Roma 'La Sapienza',Italy 2005)
- Statistics and Probability Conference (Invitation to Speak, Insttitute of Statistical Science, Academia Sinica, Taiwan 2005)
- Statistics seminar (Invitation to Speak, University of HongKong, P.R. of China 2005)
- Ordinary Member (elected) International Statistical Institute (International Statistical Institute 1997)
- Fellow, American Statistical Association(elected) (American Statistical Association 1996)
- Fellow, Institute of Mathematical Statistics (elected) (Institute of Mathematical Statistics, USA 1991)