Joint Committee on Honorary Degrees
Secretary: Emma Leonard, Email: email@example.com
Terms of Reference
- The Joint Committee shall be empowered to submit to the Council and the Senate, at any time, the names of persons upon whom it is proposed that honorary degrees or honorary fellowships should be conferred and, in relation to honorary degrees, to recommend in each case the title of the degree which it is proposed should be conferred.
- All members of the Council and the Senate shall be invited annually to submit, in confidence, to the Joint Committee through the Vice-Chancellor, nominations for honorary degrees whenever it is decided that a Congregation shall be held for the conferment of such degrees, provided that they shall also have the right to submit nominations in confidence to the Vice-Chancellor at any time. Nominations for honorary degrees and honorary fellowships may also be sought from the members of the University, as defined in Ordinance 2. The Joint Committee shall consider all nominations received, but shall have the power to make nominations for honorary degrees and honorary fellowships on its own initiative.
- All reports of the Joint Committee containing the names of the persons on whom it is proposed that honorary degrees or honorary fellowships shall be conferred shall first be considered by the Senate and, as soon thereafter as may be, shall be transmitted by the Senate with the recommendations of the Senate to the Council.
- No person shall be admitted to an honorary degree or honorary fellowship whose name has not been approved for that purpose by both the Council and the Senate.
- Each recipient of an honorary degree or honorary fellowship shall normally be presented for admission by the Public Orator.
- The Council may, on the recommendation of the Joint Committee on Honorary Degrees and the Senate, revoke an honorary degree or honorary fellowship.
As a Joint Committee of the Senate and the Council, the Joint Committee on Honorary Degrees reports to the Senate and to the Council.
Frequency of Meetings
The Joint Committee on Honorary Degrees usually meets on two occasions during the academic year.
The quorum for meetings of the Joint Committee on Honorary Degrees shall be four members.