Dr. Luigi Di Sarno received:
- Laurea (with Laude) in Structural Engineering at the University of Naples, Federico II.
- MSc in Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics (2000) and Structural Steel Design (2001) at Imperial College, London
- PhD on Structural Engineering from the University of Salerno, Italy, jointly with Imperial College, London, UK in 2001.
He was Post-Doc at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA, where he was Visiting Professor between 2004 and 2014.
Dr. Di Sarno was appointed as Assistant Professor in Earthquake Engineering at the Univesity of Sannio, Benevento, Italy in 2005.
Dr. Di Sarno has numerous collaborations with different institutions world-wide, e.g. UIUC (USA), University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA-USA), Bristol (UK), Imperial College of London (UK), University College of London (UCL, UK), University of Toronto, (Canada), NTUA, Athens (Greece), KOERI, University of Bogazici (Turkey) just to name a few.
Recently, Dr. Di Sarno was nominated "Honorary Member Staff" at the College of Engineering, University of Bristol, UK and Instituto Tecnologico de Santo Domingo (INTEC, Santo Domingo).
Dr. Di Sarno has been member of International Scientific Committees.
Dr. Di Sarno is part of a well-funded research group with a large portfolio of projects from private industry, state agencies, federal agencies, and international government and private entities. His currently funded projects include:
- H2020-INFRAIA-2016-2017/H2020-INFRAIA-2016-1 - SE.RE.ME. (SEismic REsilience of Museum contEnts) – Co-PI;
- H2020-INFRAIA-2016-2017/H2020-INFRAIA-2016-1 - FUTURE (Full-scale experimental validation of steel moment frame with EU qualified joints and energy efficient claddings under near fault seismic scenarios), Co-PI;
- H2020-INFRAIA-2016-2017/H2020-INFRAIA-2016-1 – HITFRAMES (HybrId Testing of an Existing Steel FRAme with Infills under Multiple EarthquakeS), PI;
- H2020-INFRAIA-2016-2017/H2020-INFRAIA-2016-1 – COSMO (Change Of Seismic MOtion due to pile-soil kinematic interaction), Co-PI;
- H2020 Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) International Training Network (ITN) 2016: XP-RESILIENCE – Extreme Loading Analysis of Petrochemical Plants and Design of Metamaterial-Based Shields For Enhanced Resilience (XP-RESILIENCE), Co-PI;
- H2020 Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) Research and Innovation Staff Exchange (RISE) 2015: EXCHANGE-RISK - EXperimental Computational Hybrid Assessment of Natural Gas pipelines Exposed to Seismic Risk, Co-PI.
Dr. D Sarno has authored more than 200 research publications, including 40 refereed journal papers, many conference papers, research reports, book chapters and field investigation reports. He has co-authored with Professor A.S. Elnashai the book: Fundamentals of Earthquake Engineering, edited by Wiley & Sons.
Dr. Di Sarno is member of the following International Committees/Working Groups:
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Performance Based Design for Structures;
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Seismic Effects on Structures;
- Working Group WG 11 of the European Association for Earthquake Engineering - Seismic design of bridges;
- Special Activity Group (SAG) of Federation International du Beton (FIB) - Composite Steel and Concrete Structures;
- Disaster Management Advisory Group of the Pan American Health Organization (World Health Organization).
Dr. Di Sarno is a Member of the Editorial Board of several international Journals and is also Associate Editor of:
- Annals of Civil and Environmental Engineering;
- Shock and Vibration;
- Advances in Materials Science and Engineering;
- Journal of Advances in Civil Engineering
- KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering;
- Frontiers in Built Environment Editorial – Earthquake Engineering.
- Best Thesis on the Seismic Assessment of RC Structures (Italian Society for Reinforced and Precast Concrete (AICAP) 1999)
- Best project on the application of stainless steel in seismic areas (Competitive Fellowship, The Steel Construction Institute, UK 2000)
- Admission Tutor for Civil Engineering
- School of Engineering Link for Liverpool International College