Dr Yannis Tzioumakis Ph.D, MA, Ptycheion (BA equivalent)
Reader in Film and Media Industries Communication and Media
- +44 (0)151 794 2897 Ext. 42897
- Work email Y.Tzioumakis@liverpool.ac.uk
- Personal Websitehttp://www.yannistzioumakis.com
Yannis Tzioumakis is Reader in Film and Media Industries in the Department of Communication and Media, School of the Arts. He teaches courses on American independent cinema and on the political economy of global entertainment with particular emphasis on Hollywood cinema. His research focuses on six main areas:
• American independent cinema
• The place of Hollywood in global entertainment
• cinema and youth cultures
• Greek cinema with an emphasis on industrial issues and practices
• the B film as a platform for creative filmmaking
• political filmmaking, especially in the US
His publications include 5 monographs, all focusing on aspects of American independent cinema, 6 co-edited collections that range from examining Greek cinema to American independent cinema, to political filmmaking, to the Hollywood Renaissance. to the film Dirty Dancing and its place in popular culture and the 100-year history of United Artists. These books have been published with leading publishers, including: Routledge, Edinburgh University Press, Wayne State University Press, Bloomsbury Academic and the University of Chicago Press.
Yannis' work has also appeared in a number of key journals, including: Screen, Velvet Light Trap, Film History, Studies in Documentary Film, The New Review of Film and Television Studies, the International Journal of Media and Cultural Politics and the French Revue Française d'Etudes Américaines. His work has also appeared in numerous edited collections focusing on filmmakers such as John Sayles, David Mamet, Steven Soderbergh, Edgar G. Ulmer, Joseph H. Lewis, Jacques Tourneur, Spike Jonze and John Hughes and in topics ranging from Hollywood and media convergence to the ways in which independent film travels outside the US.
Yannis has also been co-editing 3 book series:
- American Indies (Edinburgh University Press) has published 5 volumes on key US independent films, such as Lost in Translation and Memento.
- Cinema and Youth Cultures (Routledge) has published 12 volumes on well-known youth films such as Clueless, Grease, Boyhood, The Virgin Suicides and The Hunger Games.
- The Routledge Hollywood Centenary (Routledge) is a series on the 100-year histories of the major Hollywood studios. The first book in this series, MGM, was published in 2018, with books on the rest of the major studios to follow.
Yannis is on the editorial and advisory boards of several journals (Media Industries, Journal of Greek Media and Culture, Transnational Cinemas) and book series (ReFocus), while between 2010 and 2019 he was co-organiser and co-host of the Liverpool Film Seminar, which hosted over 70 scholar disseminating research in the field of film studies. His current projects include: co-authoring Rock Around the Clock as part of his Cinema and Youth Cultures series, and preparing a bid for a large-scale project on Hollywood studios' activities in Greece as producers.
Yannis can offer PhD supervision on areas related to American independent cinema, contemporary Hollywood and entertainment industry business, while he will also consider proposals on particular aspects of Greek cinema, exploitation filmmaking and young people on film. He is currently supervising a PhD on AAA video games and the ways in which cultural theory can help us understand the field better and a PhD on American independent cinema and queer theory.