Student Finance and Government funding

The Government offers financial support for students resident in England via a range of loans, grants, scholarships and bursaries.


The Government offers two types of loans, one to cover tuition fees and the other to cover living or maintenance costs. Both of these loans have to be paid back once you have graduated, but you won't have to start your repayments until you are earning over the repayment threshold, which is currently £25,000. See our Repayments section for more information.

Other UK countries have different repayment thresholds.

Tuition fees loan

As a UK student, the Government will lend you the money to cover your tuition fees for your first degree, so you do not have to pay your tuition fees in advance or during your time at university.

If you take out this loan, then the Government pays the tuition fees directly to the university. You only start to repay the loan when you have graduated and are earning over £25,000.

For England only, if you have not repaid the loan 40 years after you have left university, then any remaining debt will be written off.

Other UK countries have different repayment thresholds.

Student loan for maintenance

As well as the tuition fee loan, you are eligible for a loan to help with maintenance costs (i.e. living costs such including accommodation, travel, food etc). This loan is paid in three instalments, directly into your bank account.

The exact amount available to you depends on:

  • your household income (i.e. how much your parents or supporters earn)
  • whether or not you intend to live at home as a student
  • whether you will be studying abroad as part of your programme
  • whether you are studying for a programme subsidised by the NHS.
 Minimum entitlementMaximum entitlement
Student Finance England    
Living at home £3,698 £8,400
Living away from home (outside of London) £4,651 £9,978
Studying Overseas (i.e. Study Abroad)    
All £5,524 £11,427
Student Finance Wales    
(At least £1,000 non-repayable grant no matter what)    
Living at Parental Home   £9,950 (mix of loan and grant)
Living away from home but outside of London   £11,720 (mix of loan and grant)
Studying Overseas (i.e. Study Abroad)   Travel grant past first £303 of costs

Note: Loan figures correct for 2023 entry.

Please refer to Student Finance WalesStudent Finance Northern Ireland and Student Awards Agency Scotland websites for their information. 

How to apply for government funding

Please visit the student finance, loans and universities website and follow the online application process. Alternatively, you can call the Student Finance England customer helpline on 0300 100 0607.

More information on applying for student finance

We recommend that you start your application for government funding early, rather than waiting for any offers of a university place and that you submit your application no later than the end of May in the year you hope to start your programme.

Other government support

Disabled students

Students with disabilities may be entitled to a Disabled Students Allowance to help you with the costs of studying your programme. We recommend that you apply for this funding as soon as possible, rather than waiting until you have confirmed your place with us. The DSA1 form is available from the Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) website. Our Disability Support Team can help you with your application.

Students with children

Students with dependants may be eligible for additional financial support. This support may include additional grants such as the Parents Learning Allowance, the Adult Dependants Grant and the Childcare Grant which is used towards paying childcare costs. Students should apply for these grants while making their main application for funding. You can contact the University's Money Advice and Guidance Team for further advice.

Access to Learning Fund

This fund provides discretionary financial help to UK students to help them access and remain in Higher Education, particularly those who need financial help to meet extra costs that cannot be met from other sources of support. The fund can also help to alleviate unexpected financial hardship and is administered by the University's Money Advice and Guidance Team.

Back to: Undergraduate