Richard Koeck is Professor and Chair in Architecture and the Visual Arts in the Liverpool School of Architecture and is Director of the Centre for Architecture and the Visual Arts (CAVA). He is also Associate Head of the School of the Arts, where he leads Research and Impact for five departments. He holds a professional degree in Architecture from Germany and two postgraduate degrees from the University of Cambridge in Architecture and the Moving Image (M.Phil. and Ph.D.).
Richard is founding director of CineTecture Ltd., an internationally operating and award-winning video production company based in Liverpool. Over the last decade, his films and installations have been exhibited at influential international architectural exhibitions, such as the Architectural Biennale in Venice, but also on film festivals and national museums worldwide, including in Rome, Florence, New York, Chicago and Liverpool.
Richard is a graduate of the University of Cambridge and has worked on several AHRC-funded research projects and won numerous research grants that were dedicated to the study of cities, film and digital media. His work is methodologically underpinned by the use of techniques and theories that bridge analogue and digital culture, including film productions, 3D animations, augmented reality and locative media applications, digital mapping (GIS/GPS) and the constructing of digital databases.
He is co-editor of several books, including ‘Cities in Film: Architecture, Urban Space and the Moving Image’ (2008) and ‘The City and the Moving Image’ (2010), author of numerous articles and book chapters on film, visual culture and advertising, and author of the monograph ‘Cine|Scapes: Cinematic Spaces in Architecture and Cities’ (Routlege, 2012).
- Keynote at Inter[sections] conference on Architecture, City and Cinema (Keynote Speech, University of Porto, FAUP 2013)
- Screen Evolution Lecture, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China (Invitation to Speak, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China 2013)
- Immersive Past and Futures Conference, NTU Singapore (Keynote Speech, WKWSCI Centre for the Study of Moving Images, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 2013)
- Battersea Seminar and Screen Evolution Lecture, Nanjing University, China (Invitation to Speak, Nanjing University, China 2013)
- Research Grant, 'A Quantitative Study of the Narrative System in Historic Urban Environments' (National Natural Science Foundation of China 2012)
- Keynote at Annual WACA Conference (Keynote Speech, World Association of Chinese Architects (WACA) 2011)
- Keynote at Silent Rupture conference (Keynote Speech, University of Porto, FAUP 2011)
- Invited speaker on the topic Film, Architecture and Digital Media (Invitation to Speak, Kings College, The University of Aberdeen 2010)
- Invited speaker on Cinematic Aided Design (Keynote Speech, City Council of Nanning (Capital of Guangxi Province/China) 2010)
- Research Grant, 'Digital Archive Fund'. (North West Vison and Media/UK Film Council 2009)
- Guest lecture at Cambride University, Department of Architecture (Invitation to Speak, Department of Architecture, University of Cambridge 2009)
- Invited Speaker, Member of Scientific Committee, and Session Chair (Keynote Speech, conference committee 2009)
- Allen, Meek and Read Award (University of Cambridge 2004)
- Domestic Research Studentship (Competitive Fellowship, University of Cambridge 2003)
- Doctoral Research Fellowship, 2002-05 (Competitive Fellowship, Arts and Humanities Research Board (AHRB) 2002)
- Allen, Meek and Read Award (University of Cambridge 2002)
- Cambridge European Trust, Research Grant (Competitive Fellowship, CET, His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh 2001)
- DAAD Research Fellowship (Competitive Fellowship, DAAD, German Academic Exchange Council 1997)
- Research & Knowledge Exchange Lead, School of the Arts
- Director, Centre for Architecture and the Visual Arts (CAVA)