Professor Malcolm Jackson BSc, PhD, DSc, FRCPath FTPS
Professor Musculoskeletal & Ageing Science
- +44 (0)151 794 9081
- Work email M.J.Jackson@liverpool.ac.uk
- Personal Websitehttp://www.liv.ac.uk/
Malcolm has an extensive research interest in ageing and frailty with an increasing involvement in studies of the effects of microgravity on muscle loss in space. His specific area of expertise is redox biology of skeletal muscle. He has published over 200 original scientific papers and is the Liverpool Site Director of the MRC-Arthritis Research UK Centre for Integrated Research into Musculoskeletal Ageing (CIMA), a UK Centre of Excellence. He has substantial research links with the University of Michigan and Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation funded through a joint progam-project grant from the US National Institute on Aging (NIH). Current research funding comes from the MRC, BBSRC and UK Space Agency.
Previous roles include Associate Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research and Impact in the Faculty (2015-2021) and Head of the Institute of Ageing and Chronic Disease (2010-2015).
Prizes or Honours
- Trevor Slater Award (Society for Free Radical Research - International, 2021)
- Lifetime Achievement and Service Award (Society for Free Radical Research - International, 2016)
- Lord Cohen Medal for Services to Gerontology (British Society fro Research on Ageing, 2014)
- Adjunct Professor (Department of Cell and Structural Biology, University of Texas at San Antonio, 2007)