I am Dean of the Management School here at the University of Liverpool. Prior to taking up my role at ULMS in 2015, I was Associate Dean Research and Professor of Strategic Management at the University of Bath School of Management. Previously I was Associate Dean Postgraduate and Director of the Graduate Management School at Lancaster University Management School, where I also held the Professor Sir Roland Smith Chair in Strategic Management and was Director of the Centre for Strategic Management. Following a career as a consultant, I started my academic life at Cranfield as an ESRC teaching fellow in 1992, from where I obtained my PhD. I subsequently spent time at Cass Business School. I was first promoted to a personal Chair in Strategic Management at Cass in 2005.
As a Professor in Strategic Management, I am best known for my research on processes of strategy development and strategic change. I have a particular interest is how large corporations can be transformed to both retain and regain competitive advantage, focussing on the nature of the practices, actions and activities of senior executives engaged in corporate renewal, organization transformation and radical restructuring. Building on this research I am also a member of the growing international Strategy-as-Practice research field. I utilise my prior experience as a consultant to work collaboratively with organisations and senior executives on issues of strategic change, to enable my research to advance practitioner as well as theoretical knowledge about strategy and strategic change. My research has been published in top ranked international journals, such as the Academy of Management Journal, Organization Science, Journal of International Business, Journal of Management Studies and Organization Studies. I also serve on the editorial boards of Organization Science, Journal of Management Studies and Organization Studies and have served on the editorial board of Academy of Management Journal and as a co-editor for the British Journal of Management.
I work with senior executives on issues of strategic change. The fourth edition of my book, Exploring Strategic Change, has recently been published.
- Fellow, British Academy of Management (British Academy of Management 2016)
- Best Paper with PhD Student Award Strategizing Activities and Practices Interest Group (Prize, Academy of Management Conference Vancouver 2015)
- Best Paper Award Organizational Development and Change Division (Prize, Academy of Management Conference Montreal 2010)
- Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Best Paper Award, Manager and Organizational Cognition Division (Prize, Academy of Management Conference Washington 2001)
- Speaker: Organization Development and Change Division Showcase Panel (Keynote Speech, Academy of Management Conference Montreal 2010)
- AIM (Advanced Institute for Management) Ghoshal Fellow (Competitive Fellowship, AIM and ESRC, EPSRC 2006)
- Visiting Professor (University of Sydney 2012)
- Visiting Professor from 2011 (NHH, Bergen Norway 2011)
- Dean of School