Professor Clare Downham M.A. (Hons), M.Phil, Ph.D. FSA.
Professor of Medieval History Institute of Irish Studies
- +44 (0)151 794 3834
- Work email C.Downham@liverpool.ac.uk
- Personal Websitehttps://liverpool.academia.edu/ClareDownham
Clare studied at St Andrews and Cambridge. She worked as a research scholar in Dublin and as a lecturer in Celtic and History in Aberdeen before starting at Liverpool in 2010. Her publications have focused on Viking Age history and contact across the Irish Sea in the Middle Ages. Her most recent book 'Medieval Ireland AD400-1500' was published by Cambridge University Press. She is currently under contract with Penguin Classics to produce a volume on Viking Age Britain and Ireland.
OFFICE HOURS: I do not have fixed office hours but welcome students to knock on my office or email me during the working day
Prizes or Honours
- Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries (Society of Antiquaries of London, 2021)
- Commendation - 'Research Impact of the Year Award 2019' (University of Liverpool, 2020)
- John O'Donovan Scholarship Medal (Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies, 2004)