My research interests include the history of industrialisation, science, technology and finance in England 1640 to 1850. I am currently working on a book reinterpreting industrialisation in Britain between 1640 and 1860 within a global context. I am particularly interested in the role of the state, regulation and protectionism.
Prizes or Honours
- Visiting Scholar at Harvard University (History of Science Department at Harvard University, 2001)
- Elected Faculty Guest (the Centre de Recherches Historiques, Paris , 2012)
- Senior Fellow at the Dibner Institute for the History of Science and Technology, Massachusetts Insti (The Dibner Institute, 2001)
Other Personal Distinctions
- The Lion Award (Student Union, 2011)
- Derek Price Award (History of Science Society, 1997)