I am a historian of late medieval and early modern intellectual and political culture, with a particular interest in the early modern Iberian and Iberian Atlantic world (c.1500 - c.1700). Currently, I am exploring the relationship between different fields of knowledge (such as theology, law, historiography), political expertise, and political decision-making in the Spanish Habsburg monarchy.
I studied History, Politics and German Language and Literature at Heidelberg University, Germany, before completing a D.Phil. in Modern History at Oxford University. I joined the Department of History at Liverpool in 2004, after holding research and teaching fellowships at Oxford, Bristol, King's College London and the London School of Economics.
Since I arrived at the University of Liverpool, I have held various administrative and managerial positions within Department, School and Faculty, including Director of Recruitment (Department of History), Director of the Centre for Medieval and Renaissance Studies (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences), and Academic Lead for Education (School of Histories, Languages and Cultures).
- Keynote (Invitation to Speak, Proyecto 'Secidiones y Revueltas en la Edad Moderna' - CSIC / Universidad Sevilla / Casa de Velazquez / UPO 2017)
- The Society of Renaissance Studies Annual Guest Lecture (Invitation to Speak, British School at Room / Society for Renaissance Studies 2017)
- Keynote (Invitation to Speak, Congreso Juan de Mariana, Talavera de La Reina (Spain), https://juandemariana.wordpress.com/category/congreso-juan-de-mariana 2017)
- Coloquio international 'En los límites de la violencia: masacre y proyección de la Monarquías Ibéricas en los siglos modernos' (Invitation to Speak, Universidad Pablo de Olavide 2016)
- Seminario Internacionál 'Redes Culturales en el Primer Imperio Global (Siglos XVI – XVIII)' (Invitation to Speak, McGill University / Middlebury College / CSIC 2016)
- I am currently Co-Director of the Liverpool Centre for Medieval and Renaissance Studies