I am interested in various different areas of twentieth- and twenty-first century literature, primarily focusing upon science fiction (representations of Artificial Intelligence), postmodernism, and metafictions and experimental literature. I also have interests in an eclectic range of other topics: deconstruction, narratology, new media (computer games studies, electronic literature), graphic novels, nihilism, representations of mental health, and literary studies pedagogy. I am happy to discuss PhD proposals in any of these areas.
- "There is No Escape from Here (Wherever Here Is): Fantasies of Control in Fictions of Artificial Intelligence" (Invitation to Speak, GIFCON 2018: Escaping Escapism in Fantasy and the Fantastic 2018)
- "Emergent Patterns (#1): Welcome to the Machine" (Invitation to Speak, The Leverhulme Centre for the Future of Intelligence, University of Cambridge: AI Narratives Workshop 2017)
- “From Sci-fi to Real life - True Fiction” (with Dr David Reid). Blue Skies Session (Invitation to Speak, International Festival of Business / Writing on the Wall 2016)
- “Assessment in HE English, or, Is There a Test in This Class?” (Invitation to Speak, CCUE 2014)
- “Writing on the Edge.” (Invitation to Speak, Portsmouth Council / University of Southampton 2011)
- Teaching Excellence Award (Aberystwyth University 2009)
- Admissions (particularly Widening Participation)