Ahmed Elsheikh graduated in 1985 with a First Class Honours degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Alexandria. Following research leading to an MSc and a PhD degree, the latter from the University of Cambridge, he joined the Division of Civil Engineering at the University of Dundee as a Lecturer in 1992, and became a Senior Lecturer in Structural Engineering in 2001. He then moved to Liverpool in 2010 to take up the post of Professor of Biomaterial Mechanics at the School of Engineering.
Professor Elsheikh leads the Ocular Biomechanics Research Group with interest in ocular material characterisation and numerical simulation of ocular biomechanical performance. Professor Elsheikh is a Chartered Engineer, a corporate Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. He has published 2 books, over 70 journal papers and 30 conference papers. Dr Elsheikh has long practical experience as a structural engineer, and his recent work includes the development of a number of medical devices to help improve the management of eye diseases.
- Keynote speech at 8th CXL Congress 2012, Geneva (Keynote Speech, 8th CXL Congress 2012, Geneva 2012)
- Invited to speak at 8th European Solid Mechanics Conference (Invitation to Speak, 8th European Solid Mechanics Conference 2012)
- Invitation to speak on ocular biomechanics applications (Invitation to Speak, Bowman's Group 2011)
- Invitation to speak at Royal College of Ophthalmology Conference (Invitation to Speak, Royal College of Ophthalmology 2011)
- Invited to speak on corneal biomechanics in ectasia (Invitation to Speak, United Kingdom & Ireland Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons 2011)
- Represent University of Liverpool at Conference (Invitation to Speak, Conference on Revitalising Research in Kurdstan 2010)
- Speech at Conference on Structural Engineering Developments (Keynote Speech, Seventh Alexandria Conference on Developments in Structural Engineering 2010)
- Honorary Chair (Wenzhou Medical College, China 2010)
- Invitation to speak at EPSRC Healthcare Partnership Introductory Session (Invitation to Speak, EPSRC 2010)
- Author of best paper of Royal Society Interface (The Royal Society 2009)
- Author of most downloaded paper (Current Eye Research 2008)
- Author of most downloaded paper (Current Eye Research 2007)