What have we done?
- Established Women in Technology lecture series since 2017 showcasing leading women in the field of technology
- Established Athena SWAN award since 2015/16 to reward undergraduate students on contributions in promoting the participation of women in engineering
- Implementation of faculty level guidelines on academic appointments to address unconscious bias during selection and interview stages
- Implementation of faculty level guidelines to support staff returning to work following maternity leave. Since 2013 the School has a 100% retention rate of staff returning to work from maternity leave.
- 100% completion rate of academic and professional staff PDR since 2015
- High completion rate of staff on equality and diversity and unconscious bias training
- Mentoring system available to all staff to assist in career progression
- Updated School website to enhance the visibility of female role models and enhanced female participation across in-house outreach events
- Wider participation of the School's Athena SWAN representatives on committees including Athena SWAN steering group, LivWise, BAME, REF, SSLC, and family-friendly advisor
- Fostering a supportive environment including diverse means of attending meetings including Skype, availability of gender-neutral toilets and nursing rooms and free sanitary towel provision in female toilets.
- Established an expression room for mothers.
- General School meetings are organised during core working hours of 10:00 to 16:00 so as to support staff with childcare and carer responsibilities.
Policies for staff and students