Foundations in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (FLTHE)
The FLTHE programme has been designed to support staff new to teaching and those with closely defined teaching responsibilities, such as visiting lecturers, professional services, clinician-educators, demonstrators, and postgraduate research students who teach, to gain Associate Fellowship of Advance HE.
The programme aims to support HE teachers in the development of their teaching skills and ideas in the context of their current teaching role, and to increase their understanding and appreciation of alternative approaches and wider viewpoints of teaching and learning issues.
The programme is accredited by Advanced HE (formerly, the Higher Education Academy or HEA), the national body which champions teaching excellence. On successful completion of the programme, you will be entitled to become an Associate Fellow of the HEA, a national (and growingly international) recognition of your development within Higher Education learning & teaching.
Who is this programme suitable for?
This programme is suitable for:
- early career researchers with some teaching responsibilities (e.g. PhD students, GTAs, contract researchers/post-doctoral researchers etc.)
- new to teaching (including those with part-time academic responsibilities such as clinician-educators)
- a member of staff who supports academic provision (e.g. learning technologists, learning developers and learning resource/library staff)
- a member of staff who undertakes the role of demonstrator/ technician with some teaching-related responsibilities
- an experienced staff member working in a relevant professional area who may be new to teaching and/or supporting learning.
In order to register to complete the FLTHE programme, you will need to have attended Stage 1 of the programme: Introduction to Supporting Student Learning.
You are also required to have a confirmed and current teaching responsibility to engage in this programme in order to successfully achieve Associate Fellowship.
For further details, please view the FLTHE Handbook.
To achieve Associate Fellowship status, participants must have a confirmed current teaching commitment within an HE context and have teaching appropriate to Descriptor 1 (please see the Advance HE Fellowship category tool to see your suitability). This is a requirement to be able to fully participate in the programme and meet the intended learning outcomes.
Your teaching commitment can include demonstrating in practical classes, supporting student learning in placement/practice settings, leading seminars and tutorials, giving occasional lectures, marking and giving feedback on assessments, or supervising project students.
Register to participate
If you have already completed Stage 1 of FLTHE, and would like to register to complete the remainder of the FLTHE programme (Stage 2) and associated assessment as a route to Associate Fellowship of Advance HE, please apply here to Stage 2 of the FLTHE programme.
The opportunities for engaging with the programme centre around the below key dates: