Our Pre-Sessional English courses commence at specific stages throughout the year. The course you apply for will depend on your latest English Language proficiency level and the English Language requirement for the academic programme that you wish to study. Once you know your direct entry profile, and your latest IELTS (or equivalent) level and individual components you can calculate for how long you are recommended to study.
Please note the University can only consider the latest English Language qualification for entry to our Pre-sessional English courses. Combinations of English Language qualifications will not be considered.
The University of Liverpool has six different English Language proficiency entry profiles. All programmes, with a very small number of exceptions, ask applicants to submit proof that they fit one of these profiles. The vast majority of applicants use IELTS to prove their level of proficiency in English and so the table below shows what the entry profiles are in terms of IELTS results.
|University of Liverpool Entry Profile|
|F||Overall 7.5 with no band below 7.0|
|E||Overall 7.0 with no band below 6.5|
|D||Overall 6.5 with writing at 6.5 and no other band below 6.0|
|C||Overall 6.5 with no band below 6.0|
|B||Overall 6.5 with no band below 5.5|
|A||Overall 6.0 with no band below 5.5|
You can check the English language requirements for your academic course here. Alternatively you can find it on your offer letter.
If you want to study the Pre-sessional English course on-campus only the following secure English Language tests (SELT) are acceptable:
- IELTS Academic UKVI SELT
- Pearson Academic UKVI SELT
- Language Cert UKVI SELT
- Skills for English UKVI SELT
Our fully online options will be available from summer 2023 and if you opt for one of these courses you will study online until August 2023. If you are applying for a place on one of our fully online courses, the following tests are acceptable:
- IELTS Academic SELT or Non SELT, including IELTS Online
- Pearson Academic SELT or Non SELT including PTE Academic Online
- Language Cert SELT or Non SELT including Language Cert Online
- Skills for English UKVI SELT or Skills for English Global
To find out the length of Pre-sessional English course you require:
- Open the section below for the test you have taken
- Find your entry profile A-F (see table above if you are unsure of this)
- Read along to find the score that matches the score you have achieved
- Read up to find how long you will need to study for with that score.