Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the question below to display the answer.  If you cannot find a suitable question then you can email:

  • Does the English Language Centre have any materials to improve my English other than those I receive in class?


    Yes, the English Language Centre has a dynamic Language Lounge with material to help you improve your English.  You also have access to the main university library.  Click here to read more about the Language Lounge.

  • I am under 18 years old. Do any special conditions apply to me?


    Our courses are not suitable for those under 18 years of age.

  • When can I study your General English Course?


    Activate English is currently recruiting only for the period 30th Macrh 2020 to 5th June 2020.

  • I don’t have an IELTS result. How do I know my English level to study on Activate English?


    If you haven’t taken a test we can send you an online test when you apply.  You will also be tested on your first day so we can decide which level of class you should enter.

  • Where is The University of Liverpool English Language Centre?


    The ELC is overlooking historic Abercromby Square in the South Campus of the university.  We are within walking distance of the city centre and a short bus or taxi ride from Lime Street Station.  You can see us on a map here or take a tour of the centre.

  • Which length of Pre-sessional do I need?


    If you know what your entry requirements are for your academic course, and have taken an IELTS, you can work out the length of course you need here.

    Is there a social programme for my course?

    Pre-sessional courses, Activate English and Tailor Made courses all offer a social programme included in the fee.  These range from on-campus activity to travel around the UK.  You can find more details of the social programme on our Social Life pages.

  • I am currently an international student of The University of Liverpool and looking for language support. Can you help me?


    Yes, please refer to our In-Sessional support pages for information on free support available to you.  You will also find FAQs specific to In-sessional support.

  • I am looking for a policy document. Where should I look?


    All relevant policy including cancellation, harassment, health and safety and diversity are available on our policies and documents pages.

  • I am an agent and interested in representing the English Language Centre. Who should I contact?


    Please contact for more information.

  • How do I book an IELTS test?


    IELTS tests are booked directly through the British Council. You can find information on booking your test on our IELTS pages.

  • Does the English Language Centre have any official recognition, accreditation or authorisation?


    As well as being part of The University of Liverpool, the English Language Centre is accredited by the British Council for the Teaching of English in the UK.  This involves regular inspections and reports.  This gives an assurance of quality to international students who are taking or are planning to take an English language course in the UK.  You can read our most recent report here.

    The English Language Centre is also accredited by BALEAP.  The BALEAP Accreditation Scheme (BAS) is designed to establish and sustain the standard required of specialist English for Academic Purposes provision to enhance the student experience.