André Brown, is a long-standing member of the Liverpool School of Architecture staff. His research and teaching embraces areas primarily in the field of Innovative Technologies in Architecture and Technological Innovation. He was Head of the School from 2009-2013.
The primary technology areas that he engages in relate to digital technologies, cities and technical innovation and architectural technologies. In both cases the research focus is on innovation, routes to that innovation, and key players in developing innovative techniques in these fields. The majority of cases involve interdisciplinary engagement which is often the source of innovation.
Andy is Editor in Chief of the International Journal of Architectural Computing which has become a key journal in the field. Four issues a year of this journal are published, both online and in paper form. The Journal was established at a time when Andy was the president of the European body for research in computer aided architectural design, eCAADe. He was President of eCAADe, for a period of 4 years.
In Innovative technologies, one of his notable works is a book on the work of Peter Rice, published by RIBA as part of the engineer's contribution to architecture series. Peter Rice as a key innovator who merged together interests in structure, Materials, construction and computational technologies is a particular inspiration alongside other key figures such as Frei Otto. In the area of cities of the future he has published on areas of mobile mapping in its early days and ran a one week event at the Liverpool Pavilion at Shanghai Expo in 2010; the book Urban Design Futures was a product.
In July 2014 he was appointed as Vice President of XJTLU, Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University, in Suzhou, China. He was based in China for the period of his secondment ending in August 2017, but remained closely engaged with Liverpool University.
- Lectures by Masters (Invitation to Speak, TU Graz, Austria 2011)
- Keynote address (Invitation to Speak, ASCAAD 2009)
- Tee Sasada Award (Sasada Award Committee: Osaka University, Japan 2009)
- International Award (Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture 2006)
- Keynote (Opening) address, On Communication: between individuals and domains (Keynote Speech, CAADRIA 2003)
- Elected President of eCAADe (4 year term) (eCAADe (Education and Research in Computer Aided Architectural design in Europe) 2002)
- Keynote address, CAAD Complements: Art and Science (Keynote Speech, eCAADe 2002)
- Vice President (Academic Affairs) XJTLU, Suzhou
- Pro-Vice Chancellor, Liverpool University