All members of staff are entitled to take Adoption or Surrogacy Leave when a child is newly matched with them for adoption, or is born through surrogacy.
The Adoption and Surrogacy Leave policy outlines the conditions and entitlements of the University's Adoption/ Surrogacy Leave Scheme and associated Pay arrangements.
- All eligible members of staff are entitled to take a maximum of 52 weeks Adoption/ Surrogacy Leave, regardless of length of service.
- Adoption/ Surrogacy Leave applies whether the child was adopted from the UK or from overseas, or born through surrogacy.
- You are entitled to reasonable time off at full pay to attend appointments relating to the adoption/ surrogacy.
- Only one partner can receive Adoption/ Surrogacy Leave, regardless of employer. However, when one partner applies for Adoption/ Surrogacy Leave, the other partner is entitled to apply for Paternity Leave.
- You may be paid at full salary for the first eight weeks of your Adoption/ Surrogacy Leave.
- You will continue to accrue leave while taking Adoption/ Surrogacy Leave.
- The University will continue to pay employee and employer pension contributions during unpaid periods of Adoption/ Surrogacy Leave.
- You may carry out up to ten Keeping in Touch days with the agreement of your manager.
- You may be entitled to Additional Parental Leave.
Applications for Adoption Leave are subject to criteria outlined in the Adoption and Surrogacy Leave Policy (below). Please see the document for full terms and conditions.
The Surrogacy Pathway (UK Government Guidance)
Care In Surrogacy (UK Government Guidance)
For UKRI (formerly RCUK) grant holders - Adoption Leave guidance is available in the Terms & Conditions