The year 2021 marks the first time the UK NPDC was held in the North of England, hosted on behalf of the University of Liverpool by its Leadership, Organisational, Professional & Academic Development Academy (The Academy) in collaboration with researchers representing Aberdeen, Birmingham, Cambridge, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Exeter, Kent, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Oxford, Queen Mary University London, Queen’s University Belfast and Vitae.
The University of Liverpool organising team coordinated all event related logistics and worked with the national steering group of postdoc representatives from diverse research and non-research intensive universities, and research consortia across the country. Together they were responsible for the co-creation of the programme ensuring that equity, diversity and inclusion were embedded in each step.
University of Liverpool Core Organising Team
- Dr Saneeya Qureshi, Head of Researcher Development and Culture Researcher Development, The Academy
- Dr Angela Midgley, Research Staff Developer, The Academy
- Mr Luke Simpson, Administrator, The Academy Administration Team
- Dr Pearse Buchanan, Postdoctoral Research Associate, School of Environmental Sciences, Department of Earth, Ocean and Ecological Sciences (January 2021 – May 2021)
- Dr Katherine (Katy) Roscoe, Early Career Fellow, School of Law and Social Justice, Department of Sociology, Social Policy and Criminology
- Dr Janette Greenhalgh, Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Population Health, Department of Health Data Science, Faculty of Health and Life Sciences
- Dr Claire Wilson, Postdoctoral Research Associate, School of Health Science, Department of Molecular Physiology & Cell Signalling
- Dr Malaka De Silva, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Institute of Infection, Veterinary & Ecological Sciences, Department of Clinical Infection, Microbiology & Immunology
- Dr Gabriella Melis, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Institute of Population Health, Department of Public Health, Policy and Systems (January 2021 – June 2021)
- Miss Mary Jane Monaghan, Honorary Research Assistant, School of Electrical Engineering and Electronics and Computer Science, Department of Electrical Engineering and Electronics
- Dr Michael Robinson, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of History, School of Histories, Languages and Cultures
- Dr Alex James, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Chemistry, School of Physical Sciences
- Dr Krishanthi (Kris) Subramaniam, Tenure Track Fellow, Department of Infection Biology & Microbiomes, Institute of Infection, Veterinary and Ecological Sciences
- Dr Revathy Krishnamurthi, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Clinical Infection, Microbiology and Immunology, Institute of Infection, Veterinary and Ecological Sciences
- Dr Sophie Jones, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of History, School of Histories, Languages and Cultures
- Dr Sandeep Amberkar, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Institute of Systems, Molecular and Integrative Biology, Biochemistry and Systems Biology.
National Steering Group
- Dr Sadaf Ashraf, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Arthritis and Regenerative Medicine Laboratory, Institute of Medical Sciences, Aberdeen Centre for Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Health, University of Aberdeen
- Dr Joan Chang, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Wellcome Centre for Cell-Matrix Research, School of Biological Sciences Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, University of Manchester
- Ms Rachel Cox, Engagement and Policy Project Manager, Vitae, non-profit programme run by the Careers Research and Advisory Centre (CRAC)
- Dr Alice Dubois, Head of the Postdoctoral Development Centre, Faculty of Medicine, Health and Life Sciences, Queen’s University Belfast
- Dr Arya Gupta, Postdoctoral Research Associate, School of Biosciences, Division of Natural Science, University of Kent
- Dr Aslam Jarwar, Postdoctoral Research Associate, School of social science, University of Manchester
- Dr Alice Rees, Leverhulme Early Career Fellow, Philosophy, Psychology, and Language Sciences, College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences, University of Edinburgh
- Dr Philippa Rickard, Research Associate, School of Natural and Environmental Sciences, Faculty of Science, Agriculture and Engineering, Newcastle University
- Dr Anjali Shah, Epidemiologist / Postdoc, UK Research Staff Association & Oxford Nuffield Department of Orthopaedics, Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Sciences (NDORMS), University of Oxford
- Dr Barnali Waugh, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Institute of Biomedical and Clinical Science Research, College of Medicine and Health University of Exeter
- Dr Shaojun Xu, Postdoctoral Research Associate, School of Chemistry, College of Physical Sciences and Engineering, Cardiff University.
Hear from some of the Steering Group members
"The opportunity to host the National Postdoc Conference at Liverpool is a huge privilege...We look forward to contributing to the organisation of an event that showcases effective practices nationally, and also fosters discussions about the practical steps to nurture positive and inclusive research environments for postdoctoral researchers across the sector."
Dr Kris Subramaniam and Dr Michael Robinson, Co-Chairs of the University of Liverpool’s Research Staff Association (UoL RSA)
Did you know?...Liverpool is known as home to Europe’s longest established Chinese community, as well as boasting the largest Chinese Arch in Europe, but it’s also home to the oldest black community in the entire UK.
The Liverpool Wings
In 2017 this stunning street art appeared suddenly on the street in Liverpool’s Baltic triangle area. Created by local artist Paul Curtis this huge artwork allows people to transform themselves into the iconic liver bird and is very popular with instagrammers!
Back to: Researcher Hub