Researchers lead busy, sometimes stressful lives. Since people spend a good deal of their time at work, it is particularly important for them to achieve a work/life balance. As part of Positive Research Environment, the University recognises that work/life balance is not only beneficial to individuals and their families, but also to the University as a whole.
There are a number of ways in which staff are supported by the University to help them achieve a healthy work/life balance:
- Family Friendly initiatives including flexible working arrangements, a generous annual leave entitlement, the possibility of a leave of absence for study or special leave.
- Staff Benefits scheme offers discounts and special offers on shopping, restaurants, bars, leisure activities, health & beauty and much more.
- Wellbeing Hub offers where you will find resources to support staff wellbeing.
- Our Employee Assistance Programme is a confidential counselling and information service available to assist you with personal or work-related problems that may be affecting your health, wellbeing or performance.
- The University's Sports & Fitness Centre offers discounted membership to staff and has excellent facilities.
The Balanced Researcher - A Vitae publication providing strategies for Researchers to achieve work/life balance.
Work-Life Balance - Vitae provide a number of strategies to help Researchers get the balance right.
Business Balls - A number of tools and additional resources to help with achieving a work/life balance.
The Work Foundation - The Work Foundation (part of Lancaster University) has a variety of resources on work/life balance and flexible working, including related reports, news and blogs.
Tips for Work/Life Balance - Jobs.ac.uk provide 10 tips for getting a work/life balance
Work/Life Balance News - The Huffington Post provides a useful page displaying the latest news stories relating to work/life balance.
Working Families - Working Families, a charity to help working parents and carers achieve work/life balance. The website has a wealth of resources, including advice for parents on flexible working, tax credits and maternity & paternity leave.
Gingerbread - A charity for single parents that provides a number of useful resources, such as information on childcare and other practical issues facing single parent families.
Family Lives - A charity helping parents deal with the changes that are a constant part of family life.