I am the Director of Studies for the Accounting & Finance programme. My role involves looking after students to ensure they get the best experience possible whilst at University and working closely with Professional bodies and Professional firms to ensure the curriculum gives students the key skills they need to maximise employability prospects.
Some key facts about me include:
- I graduated with a degree in Law from the University of Leeds
- I am a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales and became a Chartered Accountant in 2002
- I am a Chartered Tax Adviser
- I hold several teaching awards for teaching excellence including The Faculty Learning & Teaching Award which was awarded to me in 2015
- I have been married to my husband Neil for 15 years. We have a black labrador called Belle who is exceptionally pampered and we are expecting our very first child on the way in June 2017
I trained as a Chartered Accountant with KPMG in the Audit & Assurance department. I was an Assistant Manager on a range of clients from small owner managed businesses to large listed corporate entities in a variety of industries. I also specialised in the audit of pension funds. After qualifying, I worked for HM Revenue & Customs for ten years in a variety of roles including Team Director for Fraud and Avoidance, Project Director for the implementation of new legislation affecting 28,000 staff across HM Revenue & Customs and external stakeholders, Policy advisor and Head of Governance and Performance within Enforcement & Compliance.
I joined the University of Liverpool in 2012 to specialise in the delivery of tax. Having undertaken the design and delivery of a training programme for thousands of staff at HM Revenue & Customs, I felt training and teaching would be a fantastic career move. My variety of experience means I can bring subjects to life in the classroom and the feedback from students that I teach comment on how enjoyable this is. My enthusiasm for tax and transferring knowledge to students is demonstrated by the certificates of teaching excellence I have received every year since joining and in being awarded the Faculty Teaching prize. The move into teaching was the best career choice I ever made and nothing gives me a greater sense of satisfaction than watching students mature over the period they spend with us and seeing them on graduation day. I am also very famous for the tax losses dance and Inheritance Tax aerobics in the classroom!
In 2015, I took over the Director of Studies role which means that I have responsibility for all of the students and the programme itself. I am always looking for ways to improve the programme and enhance the student experience.
My area of expertise is taxation and I have delivered presentations on technology enhanced learning and delivery of complex material to large groups of students.
Other Personal Distinctions
- Certificate of Teaching Excellence for Tax Compliance and Advanced Taxation (University of Liverpool Management School, 2016)
- Faculty Learning and Teaching Prize (University of Liverpool, 2015)
- Certificate of Teaching Excellence for Taxation Policy & Practice (University of Liverpool Management School, 2014)
- Certificate of Teaching Excellence for Advanced Taxation (University of Liverpool Management School, 2013)
- Chartered Tax Adviser (Chartered Institute of Taxation, 2005)
- Chartered Accountant (FCA) (Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales, 2002)