Role of a Bullying & Harassment Adviser

A Bullying and Harassment Adviser is someone who can provide impartial information and advice on potential bullying and harassment situations. Specifically:

What a Bullying and Harassment adviser can do

  • Provide advice and information on the University’s Dignity at Work and Study Policy and Procedure.
  • Clarify whether the incident is bullying and harassment or something else.
  • If the complaint does not come under the University policy, sign post to appropriate services.
  • Provide advice and information on how to seek an informal resolution to your complaint.
  • Provide advice and information on how to make a formal complaint about bullying and harassment.
  • Sign post you to appropriate services which may be able to provide you with support and guidance.

 What a Bullying and Harassment Adviser can not do

  • Take responsibility for resolving your complaint
  • Investigate your complaint
  • Make a complaint on your behalf
  • Speak to the alleged perpetrator, your line manager/department head on your behalf or act as an advocate in any way
  • Attend meetings about your complaint, whether informal or formal, or act as an advocate, champion or representative in any way
  • Provide counselling, mediation or any other form of intervention
  • Promise confidentiality at all times - in certain circumstances an advisor will be required to share information with either Student Welfare or Human Resources
  • Make any judgement of the legality of any action or behaviour
  • Be able to explain the likely outcome of any investigation or how the outcome decision has been made

When contacting an adviser may not be appropriate

A Bullying & Harassment Adviser is a first point of call for staff who are concerned about bullying situations. If you have already instigated a complaint or grievance which is being actively investigated, then an adviser will likely be unable to provide any additional support. Similarly if you are dissatisfied with the outcome of a formal investigation then you should consider using the relevant appeals processes. However, if a situation has arisen that is new then this could be an appropriate situation with which to contact an adviser. If in doubt contact