Macro-scale structural validation
The imperative for a more sustainable society implies a reduction in material and energy consumption by devices, machines and structures, which conflicts with the desire for safety and reliability. Solid mechanics models, validated by experiment, are an essential tool for resolving this conflict and the development of effective validation methodologies for simple and hierarchical models together with their effect on the design process is a focus of work in my research group.
Meso-scale Experimental Mechanics
Optical techniques including DIC, photoelasticity and TSA, are capable of providing detailed strain fields in engineering components. They are being used to evaluate crack tip and wake strain fields and to guide the development of a new (CJP) model. The same techniques are being used to enhance understanding of adhesive and mechanical composite joints.
Recent work at the nano-scale has involved evaluating the interaction of nanoparticles with living cells in order to understand the mechanics of a range of associated biological processes. The experimental work has been performed at the Institute for Health and Consumer Protection of the European Commission DG Joint Research Center, Ispra, Italy.
- Matrix Optimization for Testing by Interaction of Virtual And Test Environments (MOTIVATE)
- MAINTAiN - Multi-scAle INTegrity assessment for Advanced high-temperature Nuclear systems
- Smarter Decisions based on Integrated Modelling & Testing of Structures
- INfrared STRUctural monitoring of Cracks using Thermoelastic analysis In production enVironmEnts (INSTRUCTIVE).
- EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) in Nuclear Fission - Next Generation Nuclear - Equipment
- Validation of Computational Mechanics Models.
- VAlidating Numerical Engineering Simulations: Standardising Actions (VANESSA).
- Risk quantified structural analysis - a new paradigm for engineering design.
Professor Wei-Chung Wang
External: National Tsing Hua University
Several research projects at the proposal stage.
Joint research proposals and publications
Professor Maurice Whelan
Joint supervision of students and joint publications
Joint research proposal
Dr Erwin Hack
Joint research programmes and publications
Professor John Lambros
External: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Joint research programme with USAF
Professor MN James
External: University of Plymouth
Research collaboration involving exchange of students and joint publications