The demanding nature of a degree course in Chemistry is well recognised by employers which means that our graduates are well qualified to take up employment in a variety of fields in addition to chemistry. As a Chemistry Department, we have great links with the University's Careers and Employability Service which offers excellent resources to all students, offering support such as finding summer placements and internships, to CV writing and mock interviews. As a Chemistry Department, we have excellent links with the staff in the Careers and Employability Service, but more locally offer specific modules and projects designed for those who are interested in entering the teaching profession. In addition, some of our programmes provide work placement opportunities such as Hollie Parsons placement with Eli Lilly (see video below).
According to the latest available data...
- 90% of our Graduates were in further study or paid work within 6 months of graduating
- 84% of those in paid work were working in Graduate jobs
- This is the highest percentage of any Russell Group university.
- 25% of our Graduates went into secondary teaching (relevant course options are available to help you prepare)
- Recent Graduates have landed the following jobs:-
- Formulation Scientist for Unilever
- Business development scientist for Perstorp Caprolactones
- Process Experimentalist for Mexichem
- An Environmental/Regulatory Scientist at Royal Dutch Shell
- Protein Peptide Chemist
- Chartered Accountant
- Senior Clinical Biochemist at Glasgow Royal Infirmary
- Applications scientist for Croda
Above are a few facts and figures. Please also check out the personal views of our graduates to see the variety of careers they have entered.