The demanding nature of a degree course in Chemistry is well recognised by employers which means that our graduates are well qualified to take up employment in a variety of fields in addition to chemistry. As a Chemistry Department, we have great links with the University's Careers and Employability which offers excellent resources to all students, offering support such as finding placements and internships, to CV writing, sector standard video interviews and psychometric tests.
More locally we offer employability components in all years of our programmes through embedding authentic style assessments (see case study), international opportunities through study abroad and our international research internship module (see case study), and specific modules and projects designed for those who are interested in entering the teaching profession. In addition, we have year in industry programmes for BSc and MChem students, as shown with Hollie Parsons' placement with Eli Lilly (see video below).
In addition, see the video below with recent graduate, Fizah Sulaiman, talking about the help she received from the careers service and her current employment on the Johnson Matthey Graduate Scheme
According to the latest available data, which you can look for yourself at Discover Uni...
- >90% of our straight MChem/BSc (with or without year in industry) are further study or paid work within 15 months of graduating
- 85% of those in paid work were working in Graduate jobs
- 3rd in the Russell group for gradaute prospects
- Recent Graduates have landed the following jobs:-
- Formulation Scientist for Unilever
- Business development scientist for Perstorp Caprolactones
- Process Experimentalist for Mexichem
- An Environmental/Regulatory Scientist at Royal Dutch Shell
- Protein Peptide Chemist
- Chartered Accountant
- Senior Clinical Biochemist at Glasgow Royal Infirmary
- Applications scientist for Croda
Above are a few facts and figures. Please also check out the personal views of our graduates to see the variety of careers they have entered.