Government Authorised Exchange Visa (Tier 5)

This visa has replaced the Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange) visa.

Applying for a Government Authorised Exchange Visa (Tier 5)

You can apply for a Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange visa (Tier 5) if you:

  • want to come to the UK for a short time for work experience or to do training, an Overseas Government Language Programme, research or a fellowship through an approved government authorised exchange scheme
  • have a sponsor
  • meet the other eligibility requirements.

Government Authorised Exchange (GAE) category “is for those individuals coming to the UK through approved schemes that aim to share knowledge, experience and best practice through work placements, whilst experiencing the wider social and cultural setting of the United Kingdom.” In practice, as a Higher Education Institution, the University of Liverpool is permitted to use this route to host temporary 'sponsored researchers'.


Government guidance on T5 GAE

Erasmus+ Programme

The British Council provides sponsorship under Tier 5 for those coming through the Erasmus+ programme

Back to: Working at Liverpool