Cup of coffee with plane outline, map and wallet

Settling in the UK

People from outside the UK can settle after they have been living in the UK for a number of years. Settling means being able to stay in the UK without any time restrictions. The length of time needed to be eligible for settlement, and the requirements when applying, depend on nationality and visa route.

EU Settlement Scheme

EU/EEA & Swiss nationals and their family members (whether European or non-European) who have lived in the UK for five years can apply for ‘Settled status’ through the EU Settlement Scheme.

For Further Guidance please click here.


Non-Europeans wishing to settle in the UK can apply for ‘Indefinite Leave to Remain’ (ILR). There are several different application routes for ILR depending on the type of UK visa the applicant holds.

For Further Guidance please click here.

If you are switching from a Skilled Worker Visa to ILR you will require a document from your sponsor (University of Liverpool) confirming that you continue to be needed for your job and meet the salary requirements. Please contact who will prepare the document for you.

Back to: Working at Liverpool